Roland TR-8S

I preordered yesterday. Will sell my TR-8 which I love and is probably the only piece of gear I haven’t swapped out since 4 years ago (along with MX-1) when it was released.

To be honest I will probably still sequence from my Engine as that has Song mode, plus someone said the TR-8S still changes kits when recieving PC’s rather than patterns. The main upgrade for me is the effects ( I don’t have the inputs, space or gear to use external effects so having them built in is great for me).

Don’t think my DT could be replaced by this as I bought it primarily for sampling my synths. I will be probably use the TR-8S for all my drum samples and one shots, and then the DT for sampling my synths (as well as the TR-8S!) and playing/mangling loops.

EDIT: Recieved my TR-8S and discovered you can send Program Changes to change both the Pattern and the Kit!

2 Likes

its about price points, people want lots of things but in the end will only pay up to a certain amount for various reasons. Korg is the master at hitting the right price.

1 Like

Yes. Same thoughts.

1 Like

Definitely not, although if people bought Digitakt purely as a drum computer as it is described, then the TR-8s beats it on most fronts for that role. However as most people are aware the Digitakt is more than a drum computer (and to be blunt, not a particularly impressive one) but more like a little multi purpose fast and easy sampling groovebox/midi sequencer.

2 Likes

Roland have some way to go - all the ‘explaining’ videos are presented by men

don’t forget the name… Roland

It should be betty …

and if you don’t get it: s a r c a s m

omg… please

Yup.

That aside, I would love to hear some thoughts from the artists in the videos regarding their performances and the box in general. Would have been very interesting; maybe this is still to come?

2 Likes

I think it’s safe to assume the TR-8s will sound at least as accurate as it’s predecessors. I recently saw that Frank Wiedemann from Âme is travelling with a TR-8. If it’s good enough for the likes of him it’ll be good enough for me.

2 Likes

I don’t know what this means, but it would make a hell of an album title.

4 Likes

It is confirmed that the ACB models from the boutique TR-08 and TR-09 are used, and those are excellent, as a former owner of many examples of the original machines I have no desire to get hold of the originals since owning the boutiques. Funny that a lot of pro artists are using the airas and boutiques, making records and touring with them, but for Dave from Clacton only the originals will do :rofl:

6 Likes

Dave from Clacton is a purist mate… a purists purist. :wink: He’s probably railing “F*CK THESE PLASTIC ACB TOYS & GIVE US ANALOGUE NOW!” over on Gearslutz right now…

1 Like

Yeah he’s pretty hardcore, no way does he want some daft bird demoing his drum machine either :rofl:

2 Likes

In a way I can understand the longing to own or hold on to something that connects us to what we believe was a better time. Only most of the time it really wasn’t.

1 Like

The originals are awesome no doubt, but for modern use the new ones are better in practical terms. I still have some vintage stuff, but day to day they do not see the use that the modern gear does, I suppose in a way it is analogous to owning a classic car - nice to take out on the occasional summers day but when you’re driving to work the modern car is more suitable.

3 Likes

Very cool.

I guess even Robin gets something wrong once in a while. :wink:

Any good electronic music artists from Australia you recommend? Virtually every artist I hear of is from the UK, Sweden, Germany, and the US. Or is gear too expensive there to produce music?

1 Like

And… ordered. GAS resolved. Now I can go back to making music.

Ordered one, too. Thomann say it’ll be April until I get it, but I don’t mind.

1 Like

Ditto. Also, I ordered the DN there and it came sooner than what they expected.

1 Like

Probably for Jeff Mills too :wink:

1 Like