Roland TR-8S

Dumped my force cause Akai failed to deliver on promises made, what, 2 years now?

Force had so much potential but they squandered it

The TR8S ACB drums are just much better than what’s on offer with the 707. IMHO.

My partner bought a 707 in December and she’s used it for maybe 15 minutes. That means I’ve used it for maybe two hours. :slight_smile:

I am in love with my TR8S. The 707, not so much. I don’t know if I would go so far as to say that the 707 cannibalized TR8S sales though.

I would almost suggest that the 707 has maybe even put the TR8S on some people’s radar. @Unifono seems to be venturing down the the 101 rabbit hole much to everyone’s delight. I see either a 707 or TR8S (or both) in his future!

2 Likes

Push 3 …
Yes same here, but after talking with some Ableton ppl at SB19 I really doubt it happen anytime soon.

:cry: I should stop bitching about it and get on with using my lovely and light MacBook Air

1 Like

But, but… How do you play it? :thinking:

Cheers!

1 Like

Installed the update, FM is quite nice and adds quite a lot to the sonic palette.
Reload function is good and useful, move into right direction.

But still I have the feeling that TR8s is a dinosaur, comparing it to the DT for example. First of all the interface > so many menus, etc… for example you have to press SHIFT + INSTUMENT to start select instrument parameters, than press another button to start edit parameter, then press it again to exit… too slow. And LFO is also too slow : ) And it’s in the wrong menu…

Well. Here’s mine wish list for future update. I hope where will be another one…

• Sound / Sample per step
  • Option to assign other parameters to Pitch / Decay knobs for automation recording.
  • LFO per track.
  • Options for samples - Sample Start / End / Loop control. At the moment there’s nothing.
2 Likes

The same way I play with all my other racked gear. I sequence it with the Squarp Pyramid anyhow, but I prefer the panel facing me this way.

Have just been playing with this. Great update!
Very nice FM sounds. Limited yeah, but if you want full synth, theres other options. I think the TR-8S does a brilliant job of being what it is, a drum machine.
I liked loopops point about comparison, ‘it depends what you compare it to’ wise words.
Also worth remembering, what do you want from a machine? Do you want easy editing of loads of parameters? Go over there to the elektron room. Do you want easy hands on control of all tracks right now ? Yep, that would be the TR8-S room.

Build a kit. Play it.

Im stoked.

5 Likes

Playing with one tone inspired me to build a pattern around it. Then I accompanied it with another tone that had a wide range of different harmonic and disharmonic sweet spots.

9 Likes

Anyone want to place bets on a major MC707 update this week? :grimacing:

1 Like
13 Likes

Devine Demo

8 Likes

no.
they release updates quarterly (september 1.02 – december 1.20 – march 1.30 – june 1.50).
and 707 was released right before 909 day.
so next update is expected in september.

Synthstrom Deluge?

1 Like

Good one. That, or the MPC Live and its relatives. Those are the only ones that take the one box concept seriously enough (MC-707 falls short on its sampling features).

I do agree that if Sequential ever had a go at this, or Moog, that’d be quite something. Tempest goes to prove that Sequential could do something quite unique in this segment (running for cover as @JohntheSavage comes looking for me) but at the same time (and I’m saying this with a whisper, so he won’t hear me) I don’t think this was ever Dave’s thing. If anything, I think he’d go for a poly workstation with some levbel of multi-timbrality (not just duo) and a sequencer to match.

But I digress, don’t I?

2 Likes

It’s good to know that my reputation precedes me. Finally, all my dedication is paying off. When people can hear your words in their head before they are spoken, that’s when you know that the war of attrition has been won. :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

I was around on the DSI forum when the battle was fought. Your words have echoed in my chambers for years :slight_smile:

I love the Focault’s Pendulum effect it had, once the dust had settled that people imagined this was a template for just getting more features implemented.

I always perceived the Tempest affair as a promise not delivered on by Dave Smith Instruments, and a well-organised petition to hold them to and honor that promise, which really paid off - because the case really was so clear.

2 Likes

This is going to be me for the foreseeable future… TR8-S v2, monotribe.

7 Likes

Plenty you can do with that. :wink:

Cheers!

1 Like

I can feel an album brewing already!

2 Likes