Roland TR-8S

Ha, well, there’s certainly a lot of that going around too. :wink:

Cheers!

My custom stand had been stuck at the post office for a month & a half, but finally arrived. I’m very pleased with it! Here’s how I’m using it in my rig.

17 Likes

That looks awesome!

Ohh. Silver bullet looks so nice. Happy with it?

Yes! I love it. It really polishes the mix.

got a TR8s today. Is it normal that the start/stop button is clicking very strong when you press it in the middle? It has a pretty long „click way“ and feels strange, it‘s nicer if you press it on the left or right side…

Just wanted to know if this is the way the button was designed?

Yeah the big plastic buttons are a bit clicky. Normal I would say.

Nothing compared to the clackfest of your average Elektron.

1 Like

okay thanks. Don’t know the elektron button click a lot but the big tr8s button feels a bit awkward. Don‘t know. As long as it‘s working I‘ll get used to it

Well the Elektron buttons are generally leaf springs so they kind of clack when they bottom out but it’s not a “clunk” when the switch actuates like those Roland buttons. I prefer the Elektron feel but I think the Aira stuff works fine.

Maybe they soften up? Ive had my TR8-S for 2 years, the velocity pad is definitely more responsive now, and I dont notice the clicky buttons at all. Or maybe I just got used to it?

Either way. Those who know, know. Bloody brilliant drum machine :wink:

2 Likes

That’s lovely. Wood makes everything sound warmer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t think so. I’ve tried 2 and didn’t notice anything unusual.

ok. I‘m really not sure about it. I try to show it in a video later…

so is this normal? it feels quite loose, you can basically move it to all sides when pressing on the edges. And in the middle it‘s very clicky.
Hard to explain it for me in english. I‘m just curious.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh31szptvsq0rg4/IMG_2277.mov?dl=0

Looks normal to me. I didn’t like the initial feel of the buttons as well.

2 Likes

Yup - normal. Good thing we’re not recording TR8S jams with a mic

1 Like

Great. Thanks guys. was just wondering. Fine for me if that’s normal, as long as the unit sounds that great :slight_smile:

Does the new FM engine have a pitch envelope? I was a little bit disappointed when I noticed that the Digitone doesn´t have that feature which I am so used to with Ableton´s Operator or FM7 / FM8.

Nope. Its super simple. You get a Coarse FM and Morph parameter.

Saw or Exp LFO in Half mode will do this :slight_smile: