Roland system 8

Hi,

I am considering selling my AK to fund a System 8. While I love the AK sound and sequencer I simply can’t get myself to program patches with it because of the UI, it is not that is bad but it is not as immediate so I always end up using presets which seems like a waste.

I also struggle a lot to incorporate the Ak into my ITB set up, the volume from the OB outputs is low and I have to keep adjusting it a lot with gain plugins.

Anyone has experience with both the S8 and the Ak that would like to share some insight and comments about the sound of both compares? And if any features you miss from the AK in the S8?

Thanks

I must confess to being more productive programming the Analog Four via Overbridge.
Its a tad irksome none the less as I find a certain disconnect programming via a mouse and computer screen.
Thankfully much of that conflict is resolved when i go back and program the unit via its own interface. I personally like the juxtaposition you get betwen the native sequencer and what you create within a DAW.
The S8 is super immediate and that’s one of its core strengths, the Juno emulation is uniformly excellent but I can’t say i’ve ever been lucky enough to A/B both the Jupiter 8 and the Internal Plug out in the same room. You are however dealing with what is fundamentally a single LFO equiped synthesizer. Many patche swould lead you to percieve this due the the oscillator structure and the colour function anbd the oscillators are feature rich enough at the core to take you in some great sonic directions.
I use the System 100M Plug-out in my final slot because it has dual LFO’s and the pin matrix / patch bay can be accessed via the synths sub menu system so it is fully programmable without the Plug-n needed to be on hand. Its tome is very Roland but it also sounds quite convincingly analog as well.
The internal sequencer has a few neat tricks two especially in Performance Mode where you get two sequencer lanes of up to 64 steps with independent scale (1/8 through 1/32 and 1/4T through 1/16T), play mode (FWD/REV/PINGPONG/INVERT/RND and Key Trig with gate and shuffle. Both sequencer lanes can have different first and last step settings and in Performance mode the sequencer allow you to have 44 lanes off parameter step modulation per upper and lower part.
The sequence itself is a pretty interactive affair and the Trigger In is also a rather beat feature including a CV/GATE out channel too if needed.
Hard to say how much you’d miss the A4Keys as I find the sound quite complimentary to the S8.
It can sound quite brash and ballsy and is great for hard hitting industrial stuff but also excels at pads, leads, basses for days and it covers a lot for your acid like, techno chord stabs, Juno and 101 like sounds too. I personally couldn’t part with my A4 in spite of some of its shortcomings.
That said the Systen-8 is very immediate and quite inspiring due to that simple fact. You can dial sounds in super quickly and it feels like a complete instrument in use but also acts as a pretty solid controller keyboard too. I’ll be interested to see what others say but it is a fine sounding tool.

5 Likes

What a gem of a response!!
Thanks for the detailed run down of the system 100 on the Roland 8 - no one has really ever talked about it on any forum.
I love the system 100 plugout. And it’s great to hear you can have full control over the plugout, finally, in a standalone synth.
For those that care, the plugout is really close to the original 100 and 102.

I’m always thinking about picking up a system 100 original and a system 1m.

1 Like

Yeah the UI on the AK’s hardware is hard work imo.
Still for the life of me can’t understand why the analog series all have smaller screens than their predecessors. Quite bizarre
Anyway saying that, when I owned the AK I actually enjoyed programming it from its VST via OB, and the OB release completely solved the UI problems of the AK for me.
Haven’t owned the S8 but have tried it, and UI wise operation from the hardware alone is a huge improvement over the AK

As you I also enjoy programming more the AK from the SW, not only the synth but also the performance controls and assigning modulations is just so much easier. But then what’s the point of HW if I am using a plugin at the end? I am no purist, to me SW synths sound as good so it makes little sense to me to use a plugin to enjoy programming the AK, plus the stress on the CPU, conections and obviously the money sitting there.

I do like the AK particular character a lot and the sequencer is dope, when I put it to use it does very cool things but feels like too much effort.

@OSCar Thanks for the insight, it seems sequencer wise I won’t loose much except for song mode which I don’t use often, I loose two tracks but I gain 4 voices and MIDI out for the sequencer too.

The system 100 looks great and could be a solution for having lots of modulation going, I also liked the sound of the SH2 and the promars when I demoed the plug ins.

great insight guys.

Yep, there is quite a difference in the UI. System-8 allows more direct access to most of the parameters we need for daily work. It’s not a one knob per function layout completely, but almost. There are some sound-parameters hidden in the menu, but not too deep.

For me the A4/AK UI is a good compromise between size of the intstrument and complexity of the synth engine and the sequencing and performance features. After some hours spent with my AK, I had developed a kind of mussle memory to switch quickly between the “parameter” buttons and the encoders. The display has become relatively unimportant, since I am used to work more with my ears. I use the display almost only for orientation that I have pushed the right button or going for the right encoder.

If you ended up using the presets of the AK mostly, you did indeed not get, what this synth realy can deliver. If you are not entirely finished with the AK, I would suggest, give both of you more time, and learn to program the AK via its physical UI - or - via OB, which is excellent and pretty much of a high standard GUI for a VST/AU plug-in.

Comparing the System-8 and AK as ITB ready instruments … well, the AK works fine via OB. There is nothing to compare with for the System-8. But if standard midi and audio via USB is sufficiant, then both do the job.

Comparing the keybeds … IMO AK feels very good, but System-8 does not play in the same league. The keybed of the System-8 has no aftertouch (which is something of a shame for a polysynth) and the action is not as good, as for other keybeds, which are delivered at the System-8 price range.

Comparing the sequencers … well … which hardware step sequencer can challenge the Elektrons? Not many, if we compare those, which are integrated in an instrument ;). The sequencer of the System-8 is good, it also records live and parameter changes. Which is great and useful, but not as flexible and manyfold as the Elektron sequencers.

Comparing the synth engines … last but not least … most important, IMHO, both sound excellent. But each of them go in a totally different direction.

The A4/AK comes with a very versatile new designed circuitry, which wants to be loved as is. There are many complaints in the net about the A4/AK not sounding like some of the old famous legends of the 80ies or 90ies. The sound engine of the A4/AK is one of the most versatile and complex engines today. Such a thing want’s to be used to it’s limits.

The System-8 wants to be a modern VA synthesizer with some very fresh ideas. It allows quickly to go off-road and to create impressive non-standard sounds. But it’s sound-engine is straight and provides rather simple modulation capabilities. The Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 simulations are supposed to be retro. Both are great sounding simulations and after some research I conclude, that many agree about the Juno-106 to be almost undistinquishable from the original and the Jupiter-8 simulation should be the best of today. But from some YT videos I would say, the original Jupiter-8 has more beef to the sound. But the simulation is very close (TBO I have never played an original Jupiter-8 myself :frowning: ). But there are some videos out there, which compare the real Jupiter-8 vs it’s simulation and IMO the guys made a good job discussing the similarities and differences. This said, after I switched on my System-8 in the studio and played the Jupiter-8 simulation, I had nothing to complain. Beefy 80ies sound, exactly what I was hoping to get, without having to pay a fortune for a rare 30+ year old veteran in a good shape.

If you are about to decide either to stay with the A4/AK or to go for the System-8, I would recommend, listen to your ears. Both are very different beasts. If you can, get both :wink:

And sorry for such a long post … :smiley:

1 Like

So ended selling myAK and got the System 8 this weekend.

Letting go the Ak was not easy at all, I loved its character that IMHO was quite its own flavor.

In compensation the system8 gives you 4 different synths on board with very different characters and with the System100 I can cover some stuff the a4 did, but obviouly editing modulation is not that easy in the System8.

Overall I am happy with the change, I really missed the extra octave and polyphony, being able to play a big chord plus some bass in another layer is something Ineeded a lot. The pads are lovely with any of the 3 polyphonic engines, it can go from mellow to agressive with ease and the filters are very juicy, this modeling stuff might not be 100% there but is so good I don’t feel the need for analog.

The one area that the A4 was superior without a doubt are the effcts, the reverb is terrible on the system 8, the delay lacks any character. Another thing that is quite inferior is the arpegiator.

I would keep both, maybe in the future I get another A4, but for now I needed a better UI with lots of knobs.

1 Like

Given the limited outputs of their first OB enabled device(The first Elektron grovebox with only a single stereo out), I’d reckon they were trying to steer people into using overbridge

1 Like

Who is using one of these? This thread hasn’t been up in years. I’ve always been interested.

2 Likes

Yes I have one and I love it!

Still one of my favorite synths. I also have a Peak and a Hydrasynth, which I also love.

But nothing beats the immediacy of the System-8 and the great sound without any effort!

It is limited in terms of modulation possibilities, but that’s why I got the Peak and Hydrasynth.

The only weak thing about the System-8 are its effects. And the low amount of patch storage.

Also a few things I do wish it had:

• unison detune + pan spread control
  • a bandpass filter
  • separated patch memory for the performances (so if doesn’t link to the original patches, but you can actually build new patches per part and save them in the performance, just like the multi’s of the Virus)

Other than that, it’s awesome!
In the beginning I thought it was rather limited to only have 1 LFO, but eventually I embraced its limits and I’m still finding new and great sounds every time again. Without complicated modulation routings.

2 Likes

I bought a system 8 after I heard how good the Roland Cloud ACB stuff is. The Juno emulation is divine. The System 8 synth engine itself is kick ass too. Solid 2020 purchase for me.

2 Likes

I’ve owned one for a couple years now, I’very been considering selling it, as well as what few boutiques I have left. However, with ebay moving to managed payments and requiring SSN, I’ve decided to just keep them in the closet for the time being.

S8 is a great synth though, there are some things I really don’t like about it, but it’s extremely versatile, overall sound is decent, and it has really solid construction for how lightweight it is. It’s a breeze to navigate and program.
I paid $1099 shipped for mine in early 2019, I’d be disapointed if I had paid more, I don’t see it as a $1500 unit.

1 Like

Love mine. The S8 engine it’s a great sounding synth then you’ve got the plug outs too. As others have pointed out it’s got a couple of shortcomings but on the whole it’s a great synth. I’ve seen good prices on second hand units too.

1 Like

Wont be to everyones taste but Apart from the drum sounds this is all S8. Oh, bass is from the Peak.

My mate said it sounded like an Italo Disco tune. I’ll take that.

3 Likes

Starsky Carr has made a S8/Jupiter XM comparison vid

2 Likes

Absolutely … take it as a compliment :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve got mine for some years now. It will be a keeper. I love the UI and for me it’s a working horse, if I quickly need some nice pads, or some of the special sounds, which the S8 can generate.

A close friend has one and absolutely loves it. IMO it feels kinda plasticky all around but you can’t argue with the sound.

This flew under the radar recently. New OS update for the S8 and best of all a new Juno 60 plugout!

1 Like

Anyone try running their System-8 with one of these?

https://myvolts.com/product/41407

Supposedly, these little guys will put out 9V 1.33A when attached to a USB power bank. Roland’s official power supply (PSU-1B) offers 9V 2.00A, but it’s hard to say if that’s what the S-8 actually requires as the PSU-1B is used for multiple Roland products.