Roland SP404SX

I’ve been tempted by one of these before, but remember there’s only a max 12 voice mono / 6 voice stereo plus no ability to play or record pitched notes across the pass meant I gave it a miss.

… the things you get up to in quarantine …

inspired by nonjuror’s woody looking SP I decided to give it a shot myself with a microphone and topside 3.5mm headphone socket mod while I was at it (thanks clifford novey) and a 3.5mm line in socket for convenience.

still having a lot of hands-on mangling fun (sound on sound sampling rather than sequencing) with this despite more modern *better" boxes I have.

14 Likes

This is awesome!! I must be missing it, where are the top side mods? Would love to move the headphone jack as I play my at my bar with a lip.

Clifford’s mods

2 Likes

Thanks, definitely moving the headphone jack!!

Ha… For a second I was like “Wait, you’re Nonjuror?” I’ve been subscribed to that guy’s channel for a while, and really like what he’s doing with the SPs.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading to the black pads myself, if only to dim those overbearing orange lights. I swear I can taste them. :wink:

Cheers!

Oh $h1t, didn’t even notice the black pads. I was so enamored with the wrap They look equally awesome. Another question, where did you get those?

MPCstuff.com

Cheers!

2 Likes

I love this. Unequivocally and unconditionally.

2 Likes

Elektron should make customizing items in their box too. It will be fun to change pads, screen or face plate of the DT/DN.

the Homie tipped me off bout this cat today …iiiiiiiiiiiiLLLLLL

1 Like

is this the best option for a screenless sampler? trying to put together a screenless hardware rig . how does this compare to the microgranny, excluding the fx?

Depending on how much you are willing to pay the deluge also has no screen, much deeper groovebox though. Sp404 has more effects and more streamlined interface, a good bit cheaper as well. The deluge is a full groovebox, sampler synth sequencer. The drums and synth both use the same sound engine, can do crazy polyphonic, chromatic & independent speed/pitch shifting stuff with samples

ok cool. im glad theres a newer option. forgot about the deluge. hey thx

1 Like

not to derail the thread but
any link to any video of the kind of deluge mangling you’re talking about?