Roland SP404SX

Has anyone had experience with this sampler. I want to use it together with my Pyramid sequencer and O-Coast synth.
Ultimately I’d like to be able to sample a kick from the O-coast, then a snare eye etc and build a track whilst sequencing the SP404SX with the Pyramid. Once I had the perc done I could just go crazy with the o coast.
Anyone know any limitations of sp404sx that would stop me. Cheers

1 Like

I had one briefly, but I sold it. I was trying to sequence longer loops and it didn’t work well for me. I think, for what you’re trying to do, it will work great. It has some excellent FX and a great overall sound.

404 is a lot of fun. Fast sampling/resampling with good fx options. Onboard sequencer is super basic but not a problem if you have a Pyramid.

If I was you I might also consider korg es2. Just because the Sp404 is pretty basic in terms of midi. Like you can’t control the FX via midi. The es2 will do what you asked, same price range and is also a little better rounded out feature wise from what I’ve seen of it. Sequence automation, chromatic samples, polyphonic tracks etc…

Tho saying that, I’d never sell my 404, big fan of the SP FX…

One limitation is that you cannot sample on the fly.
But for crafting sounds, using heavily resampling, it’s pretty good : I got awesome loops out of it !

Maybe try a SP404 og, it might be cheaper while being as good !

2 Likes

I owned a 404 but I returned it because saving recorded samples & sample management to the external card was really bad/didn´t work. I emailed Roland in Japan who confirmed this. Never understood why a sampler with support for a high data capacity storage cards couldn´t save to it. Don´t know if they solved it on the 404SX. I ended up buying a Korg microSampler which had keyboard for chromatic & chord play, velocity support and DR envelopes. I have it up for sale now if anyone is interested.

Of course you can save to the external card.
it’s just that some are recognized and other not.
But I am 100% sure I did this, although time passed since I sold it.

Hi all,
I see this SP404SX in some of your setups and I was wondering how are you using it with Elektron (or other) gear. I’d like to have it connected to DT and when I make a loop that I like (in DT!), pre-set length, hit record, record it and use the loop(s) when I want. Possible?

It is somewhat confusing, because above ^^^ some people say it can’t be done on the FLY? So how do you use the sp404sx? It has no real time stretching, so I wonder…that doesn’t bother me too much, but I’d like some idea how you use the 404.
Are there any other samples that can do on the “fly”?

Thanks

The sp-555 is the only “on the fly” sampler. However, you could turn the volume all the way down on the 404, record the loop, trigger from midi and turn volume up. It would only work on the first loop. But if you record a second part, the 404 WILL stop all sounds.
A looper is better for this.

2 Likes

Thanks @Muddler for clarifying. That’s too bad…For a 500€ machine, that’s kind of strange, maybe it was conceived for other uses

So the 555 will do?

Which looper would you recommend? Thanks

1 Like

It’s worth looking into the RC-202 or the bigger one if you are looking to make stereo loops.

3 Likes

I’ve had one for a while. Never used it as a sampler or sequencer but just as a live looper with fx. Was a lot of fun! See for yourself! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Thanks @DimensionsTomorrow, looks pretty good and reasonable €€€

Thanks @Le_filou, nice video, that’s what I kind of thought that machine was designed for…creating beats, songs from internal memory and recording variations, fx etc…not necessarily for live looping.

I just want a Looper like the Boss rc202 which looks pretty good, to capture a loop, let’s say you get some tweaking going on from DT and want to capture it and be able to play it back etc…
Plus it supports windows 10 etc, will research it a bit…

Cheers.

2 Likes

If you have an iPad or phone, there’s also loopy, which is really good.

Can’t go wrong with that 202 though

2 Likes

I just got one on a black friday aftersale, the sp404sx was sold out so they send me the 404A (is basically the same machine with a paint job) with a (now formatted) SD card with loops from loopmasters included.

Anyway I knew all of that up front, have to say that I love this machine. It’s easy and fun to use, and that’s worth a lot in my book especially after a day of work and kid plays.

How I use it at the moment:
I record some of my sessions straight from the mixer with a zoom H5. I listen to the recordings on the commute and start marking the parts on the H5 and sample those straight from the H5 into the 404A.
From there I use 404 to try out some extra guitar/synth/bass/piano/lyrics/words/melody/… whatever comes up without having too much options and mainly focussing on not to focus too much but just do what flows…
Whatever I do here can be redone with other instruments and/or in better quality if desired later, nothing to worry about in a creative process… :loopy:

The 404A can be battery powered and is also sturdy enough to let kids play with it, with their own SD… of course, that is! :slight_smile:

Yes, I am a fan boy now.

3 Likes

I’ve been using the sp series for, literally decades. My OG 404 is still going strong. They don’t do a lot but what they can do is really useful in certain setups.

My favorite is still the 505. It’s just damn slow compared to the DT or the 404 (or the 808 even ha).

2 Likes

I got the Og 404 which I mostly use for the effects…for a live looper you cant get more fun then a Kp3.

1 Like

Duh :roll_eyes: I do have iPad and I have Ableton 9, and it dawned on me afterwards, why not use that?

There is something about hardware, hit a button, twist some pots, bingo, yeah!
Immediate results.

Actually the more I think about it, it doesn’t need to be direct on the fly recording, as long as I can set a loop length record it and then at one point hit play and it would play, that’s what I want. And bonus onboard FX.

Thanks.
So you run/stream audio through OG 404 and use FX? Not necessarily record, loop?
I know the KP3 very superficially, nice robust machines, looked at them too.
…what I need is that the Looper has to record and store the loops somewhere accessible, like on pads,…
Sometimes you get “happy accident” loop from pot twisting and think wow, would be nice to record this, before I change it.

Also, lot/most of these machines are great for building up tracks overdubbing and layering parts. It’s nice but not exactly a necessity or a feature I need.

It sounds perfect for that. Thanks for the process.

THANKS ALL for feedback and ideas. Appreciate it :two_hearts:

PS wouldn’t Octatrack do this?

2 Likes

OT can do almost anything any other sampler can do and it has a basic looper.

That said an SP-404 can do a lot with little. And you mentioned saving loops for recalling later. That’s exactly what I do with my 404 these days. The DT is now for completely sequencing but the 404 has much more memory for loops (its only good if you prerecord though).

Happy jamming

2 Likes

Yes I sample thru the sp404 from turntable than into DT. Somedays i use it to make beats, somedays I put my Op-1 thru it and sample on to it. Various applications depending on your preferences. I like to challenge myself and try different things.Either way it’s a fun affordable machine with great effects. Not the greatest sampler in my opinion but that just depends on your workflow preferences. I hope that is of some help.

3 Likes

Wtf??? It is the greatest sampler!

Haha
Just kidding but, for sure, some ppl feel that way. Idk what it is about the sp-404 but it really is a fun and inviting sampler. A classic imo.

3 Likes