Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

As I mentioned a few posts above, it is also possible to do this in pattern mode. Just run the pattern and have input routing set to “ExtIn”. That way you play along to the pattern but it doesn’t get recorded in skip back. A bit different workflow, but is essentially another way to skin a cat (not sure what psycho came up with that phrase but it fits). As I think @DimensionsTomorrow mentioned, the sp invites to use a mish-mash of different workflows to achieve whatever result you’re after. I haven’t settled on what works best for me yet but I do like the basic workflow of getting a main pattern going than using skip back to add peices as needed.

5 Likes

It’s not the same thing in this case. The “hack” is to separate the pads you want to resample from pads you do not want to resample (but still have them audible as a guide) by using the cue function to exclude them from the main mix that is captured by skip back. The external inputs are not being used in this case, it’s only about choosing what pad you want to resample internally.

2 Likes

I hear you. Believe me, I will use the technique you shared and it will be the only solution in certain cases. I meant that they are similar only in that both are ways to isolate audio for skip back sampling.

1 Like

Anyone still looking for a MK2 try Sam Ash . They just called me & confirmed mine also they said a new shipment just arrived !!

4 Likes

And gone they are…out of stock

1 Like

Another idea to increase the production value of the SP404mk2:

I’m into having the option of playing my own chord progressions for a beat, so what I’m currently experimenting with is sampling an instrument (eg pure piano iOS app) note by note onto a bank (16 notes in total which diatonically gives me a max of 2 octaves per bank).

What is more, I’m experimenting with applying the Push layout for easy chord playing with the same patterns I used to use on the Push - for those who don’t know that layout, it looks as follows (numbers = scale degree, order matches the pad layout):

10 11 12 13
7 8 9 10
4 5 6 7
1 2 3 4

This particular layout makes playing triads, inversions, 6th chords and 7th chords super easy.

2 Likes

Damn these things move quick !

1 Like

Version 0.14 of the guide is up at https://neartao.wordpress.com/2022/02/02/roland-sp-404-mk2-guide-v0-14/

Spent some time on the Sample Edit section, and tried to think about how to discuss some workflows without getting into it too deeply. Interested in any feedback on things people would like to see more or less of.

I’m trying to strike the right balance between opinions, thoughts on how to do things, and just stuff that feels like issues with Sample Edit. Maybe I am being too picky, or maybe these things could just work better.

Still happy with the mk2 though, and will continue writing things up. I’ve just started a new job, so trying to balance transitioning my old work, picking up new work, family, and working on music, has caused me to slow down a bit on the guide for a little bit. I promise I am still keeping at it though!

11 Likes

I mentioned this in the Sample Edit section… but damn when you are in Chop -> Assign to Pad, Sub Pad should play the currently selected mark… because I shouldn’t need a note pad to write down what chop I want to go to which pad, or which chops I want to keep and which chops I want to get rid of…

Those inserts make a good screen protector too!

Thanks again!

5 Likes

Ordered one.
Now I need some decent earbuds (instead of my crappy apple ones) to make it truly portable!

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. I’d completely written off earbuds with cables, but it makes total sense to have some for this sort of device.

I’ve ordered the same bag through Amazon Germany. Thanks for the tip on this. I’ve got an Analog Case that was in the ballpark of the correct size, but there wasn’t any room for the PSU or accessories. This is a much more elegant solution. Appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the manual updates! I’m a complete SP newbie and it’s very nice to read some clearly written documentation.

I’d love to find good small headphones. I have huge studio ones or the apple earbuds, not in-ear ones.

I don’t like in-ear ones but would love to find something as portable as the apple ones I have. Let us know if you find something!

Btw, I also ordered the bag talked about lately, I have the analog case but find it but huge and indeed lots of dead space. I’ll try and return it if the new bag feels better.

2 Likes

is there any kind system that you put bluetooth dongle into headphone out and it connect to bluetooth earbud like airpods.

I’d worry about latency even if it existed, but maybe I’m wrong.

My last wired ear buds were the JVC wood series, and those were great. Not a flat EQ curve of course, but they are lovely.

1 More triple drivers look good for wired earbuds…
I was going to say Sennheiser IE900 but those are insanely expensive. IE300 or 400 might be an option but still £200-£300…

These are all in-ear right? Seems hard to find high quality NOT-in-ear ones… Next stop would be on-ear the fold flat, to fit in the bag… Any pointers?

I use the Teenage Engineering M-1 on ear headphones. Better sound then you would expect and they fold up nicely.

Glad to help! Feel free to post any ideas or thoughts if there’s something specific you’d like to see. Otherwise I think I’ll just keep moving forward in the order I have before I get more into workflow specific things.