Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Just checked, seems to fit well. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Sweet! Thanks @WaveShaper!

1 Like

Thanks for the info on this bag. Ordered.

2 Likes

Could probably get an A5 printed manual in the Bagsmart case too I reckonā€¦

1 Like

You can tick the option that muted samples should be cued out to the headphone jacks. This way you should be able to choose which pads should not be recorded via skip back sampling.

9 Likes

Mind blown! Iā€™ll have to try this!

Thank you! Thatā€™s awesome. I spent the evening learning some things about pattern mode. Once I have a pattern I like I play a synth along with it. When I get a bit I like I just initialize Skip Back and save it and sequence it into the pattern. The sp is exactly what I hoped-an incredibly fun and advanced sketch pad. It is really easy to get in the weeds in a good way. Every time Iā€™ve sat down with it I completely lose track of time.

7 Likes

I love it, but the commitments you have to make can be stress-inducing at times when putting together a full track. Itā€™s a good thing I quit smoking years ago or I would have gone through a few packs on that last track I did. Haha. Probably just part of the learning curve.

Will you be taking this for a spin for the beat battle?

Tribe set on the 404mkii. (I havenā€™t even opened DJ mode yet)

1 Like

I somehow missed it because of all the other silk screening and button combos, but did yā€™all notice you get into dj mode by holding ā€œDā€ and ā€œJā€? :joy:

3 Likes

Ha, I didnā€™t put that together in my tiny mind either.

Has anyone actually used D and J mode? :wink:

This works! Workflow hack of the year, in my book, you have my vote! Thank you. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Why is this exciting? Because it allows the user to record layers of a section/loop onto individual pads (eg. chord progression on one pad, bass line on the next pad, melody on the next pad, drums on the next pad etc) all while playing them in in time with one another:

e.g. I record drums to the click. Then mute the recorded drum loop to send it to cue out so I can still hear it but Skip Back doesnā€™t pick it up anymore. Now I can play a bassline in chromatic mode while listening to the beatā€¦hit ā€œMarkā€, save the loop to a new pad and boom, now I have my drums and my bassline on separate pads, perfectly in time and mutable independently from one another. nice.

18 Likes

I feel like the limitations are exactly what have led to SP- music having the sound and vibe that it does. Some amazing artists have produced their rawest works on there. A lot of them go to daws later on but it doesnā€™t always have the same vibe.

Itā€™s always more human music than electronic music. Wasnā€™t sure if these limitations would be included in the mk2 but glad to hear that they are. I think itā€™s a strength

5 Likes

Hey there. Happy to see more units are trickling out to those in need.
I have played around a little more with zero progress in skills but have learned a few more things and the fun factor is intact.
The fun factor is btw a wastly underrated aspect of any gear and easily lost among features and specs.
So is there a battle on the horizon?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Still a week to go on the battle @Dubcat if you fancy joining in.

4 Likes

Great to hear it works! I havenā€™t tried it out yet. I need to break out the manual to figure out setting up the headphone cue. This is definitely something I had really been wanting, so, as you say, itā€™s huge.

1 Like

so here is described the first mkii hack

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad I could be of help! I think I described this workflow in this thread somewhere after the latest update dropped, because previously it was only possible to cue out one sample at a time without the ability to do anything else simultaneously.

7 Likes

I think I will join the next beat battle. My focus at the moment is pretty much just trying to get a handle on the sp workflow. Iā€™ve been listening to some of the beats on the most recent battle and as always, it is a crazy amount of quality stuff.

1 Like