Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Way to go! Can you post the old version with the new one? I’d love to hear what changes you made, and A/B between them.

I will say, I usually only produce in one session, and never go back to old tings. But as I get better, I’m going to change that.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll hopefully post more soon :slight_smile:

I love the portability and immediacy of the sp, it’s coming out to kids football practice with me tonight, can fit in a good hour there.

[EDIT] might see if I’m brave enough to have a stab at this, especially now deadline extended:

2 Likes

Load up a bunch of Carolina Crown horn samples, and make a fight song!

1 Like

Next to not being satisfied by the outcome of the first version (live triggering was a bit long in the tooth, track was more of a gimmick) I also was not sure because I used samples from Pink Floyd (as a joke). I wanted to ask that on this forum. I never used samples like that before but FL Studio stem separation is tempting to use. Getting a couple of vocal lines separated, speeding them down etc. is funny and/ or fascinating. But not legal I guess. I admit that it was no Marvin Gaye sample… :anguished:
So that version will not come back.
It was only a beat and some vocal lines. I’m trying to get it to be a bit more musical now…

Maybe there is a thread about sampling and legal stuff on this forum I can read.

1 Like

Use the samples. No one cares about policing that ish here.

We would actually appreciate the creativity. I am encouraging this!

You might get caught up in being copyright struck if you upload to the streaming platforms.

But eff it. (No. It deserves the authenticity.)

Fuck it!

7 Likes

if it makes you feel any better… there is a whole dedicated bi-weekly to sampling…

and i think you should join us (Im just now getting back into it…). its fun, and it will do you good to see the context of what we do here…

read this brief, and tell me if you think sampling is a problem here! :slight_smile:

p.s.
Welcome to the Global Sound Syndicate.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks, I was watching those the last days.
I will keep on eye on them and try some thing out.
Was listening to the Doors today and see if an idea came up.

1 Like

Stupid question, but made a beat using samples. However, want to introduce some live bass playing. Is there a way to play beat and record only input. Most likely yes, hear skip playback, but is there another method too just in case?.

1 Like

two ways:

• record setting to EXT IN, only ext in is recorded
  • mute your beat, monitor it through headphones, only the bass will be recorded (and you can record with FX too)

hope that helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, for the second option what do you mean mute beat, monitor via headphones. Don’t have access to sp at the moment but any chance please can you clarify?.

1 Like

sorry to link to a post, linking to a post but here’s the idea. muting a pad can (with right settings) send it only to the headphones and it won’t be sampled :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, have a look later mate.

1 Like

Sat down with a guitar, my laptop, and an SP and made this. All of the producing was done on the SP, the laptop was just for power and sampling some soft synths

11 Likes

Just for clarity… I meant you will get copy-write struck if you upload to streaming platforms because of the monetization built into them… not here (or instagram if I recall)

I edited the above post reflect this

It’s good to get those two separated.
That is very clear, thanks.

1 Like

Hello. Can someone who own the device explain how long it will takes to load FULL song 3-5 min from the SD card to a device pad without an app? Can you load track from a SD on the pad while one of the track playing in a dj mode? Can you listen preview of the track only to pre cue while you loading it from SD? Thanks for answers in advance

1 Like

seconds… after the initial reading of the card on boot, which can take up to a min depending on the size of the card…

in terms of loading from the card, that is a no.

You have to preload from the card any songs you want to the pads… to access the sd card, is its own separate function, and you cannot access or play anything while accessing the menu…

once on the pads, you can then cue and play from dj mode.

even with loading from the app, it stops the functions to load the pads.

EDIT: I should clarify… it reads the sd card once you access the card menu AFTER every boot, not on boot.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for detailed answer. Bless your soul!

1 Like

Check my edit… i clarified a small bit, and of course you are welcome… all quesstions are welcome, we are eager to help… and share your tunes here too…

Welcome to Elektronauts.

2 Likes

Yeah… your good for up to 16 mins.

1 Like