Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

You can set the time. I think it’s 40 secs max

4 Likes

Look at all of us.

We are SP404ing so hard right now.

7 Likes

Thanks mate and everyone for helping me. I only apologizing because this is probably something simple but I’m too stupid to understand things.

25 seconds default, or 40 seconds max (if changed in preferences).

1 Like

God bless everyone of you beautiful bastards for helping.

1 Like

Try this https://youtu.be/LA9HktmnmAg or this https://youtu.be/vF9va0llLVc

I’ve also written up a guide at my website, and this is the latest version… Roland SP-404 mk2 Guide v0.24 – NearTao's Blog

I know I keep saying I need to get back to updating it… but been busy making videos lol.

6 Likes

YO! This guy is the truth!

None of this is simple… but it is easy… there is a difference… it just takes you one time to do it and it will click… and if you havent ordered one yet, just pull the trigger… for the effects alone its worth it…

Its got a bunch of delays and a bunch of choruses, including a dedicated Juno chorus with the inbetween setting and drift, and wah wah for your guitar… flanger… its crazy.

I love the graphic on the website… its a photoshop? It looks like its the plastic filter with the levels adjusted…

Im in a digital media degree path and this is what im learning now

I used an iOS app, Vector Q, tweaked a bit to get it to vectorize and then export the image.

1 Like

Is there a reason why this is a preference, what’s the downside of extending the length of skipback?

I’m assuming there was an assumption that some people would expect it to be 25 seconds and they left it that way. The extra 15 seconds to get to 40 seconds has to come from somewhere, and I am assuming they are just using free memory. If it is using up the rest of the free memory there may be a future feature on the mk2 that needs (or uses) the memory as a tradeoff for delay time, reverb time, or something else, but for now it appears to be a preference just so you know if you have 25 or 40 seconds of skip back time.

Other than that… I’m not sure :smiley:

Another quick question, I be using the SP as a soundcard to record what I hear on my PC. But, can you mount the SP as an external drive so you can access the files on the SD card or internal?. Or is this just a case of simply taking the sd card out and copying back and forth files.

Is it possible to record an external instrument while a pattern is playing? I would like to add keys or bass to my pattern but don’t want to stop my pattern playing, is this somehow possible?

As far as I have seen, the SP404 mk2 doesn’t mount the SD drive (or internal drive) over USB-C, but the software can address the internal storage to copy samples to pads.

So… take the SD card out to copy files back and forth.

Cheers for your hard work - a good read. I would be interested if you explored MIDI sync at some point as I’ve found this a rather unusual implementation. It seems that MIDI sync only applies to the pattern sequencer and not to the tempo of sample loops or the time-synced FX as I (foolishly) assumed.

I’ve done some midi sync videos on my YouTube channel already, have you seen them and you’re looking for something else?

Roland has a companion program for this exact purpose. You can manage files and I think even chop and load up pads.

I know there is a similar thing for the TR8S as well that you can sequence on as well.

Both are similar to Overbridge in certain respects.

Are you trying to isolate the keys or add?

i want to record from external source to an empty pad, while a pattern is playing to use the sp like a looper.

So i use samples on the sp to create a drum pattern and then i want to play in keys from an external synth, but i dont want to stop the current beat (the pattern) playing