Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

I’ve done some midi sync videos on my YouTube channel already, have you seen them and you’re looking for something else?

Roland has a companion program for this exact purpose. You can manage files and I think even chop and load up pads.

I know there is a similar thing for the TR8S as well that you can sequence on as well.

Both are similar to Overbridge in certain respects.

Are you trying to isolate the keys or add?

i want to record from external source to an empty pad, while a pattern is playing to use the sp like a looper.

So i use samples on the sp to create a drum pattern and then i want to play in keys from an external synth, but i dont want to stop the current beat (the pattern) playing

answer above was meant to be the reply, messed up

You can just use pad link,

set the drum loop to “loop”

Mute the drum loop pad, and cue the loop into headphones then resample and play the keys as external in to the pad linked to the muted drum loop pad.

Then you can chop the sample you just recorded with the best takes and trim to match the loop

I think you may have to shift/ext input to set the ext in to mix

i initially looked for a way to record external audio while a pattern is playing in the sequencer, but i think there is no way to record something while the sequencer is playing.

There is. You may resample the sequence, or only record the incoming audio. Look at the recording settings while resampling, routing is either set to Mix or Ext In.

but this is not the same as recording while the sequencer is running. I know i can resample the sequence and then record external sound. I am talking about recording external sound to an empty pad while the sequencer is running (playing a pattern on pad x). Pressing rec while the seq is running just starts the recording for that pattern.

Do you have a unit? (Sorry I didn’t follow)

• Go to pattern mode
  • Hit resample
  • Go to record settings
  • Choose Ext In for the routing
  • Exit record settings
  • Now, recording will start as you start a pattern playback, and only the external audio, coming from usb or mic/guitar/line in will get recorded to a new sample

There’s a step to select a pad at some point, I’m not in front of the sp right now. But I’m positive it does work!

Cheers.

7 Likes

yes this was it, thanks a lot!

yes this works (resampling with ext input while a pattern plays). another option is using skip back with ext input only (in the recording settings). but both options require to stop the sequencer at some points. there is no „live looping“ option as far as I know…

1 Like

True, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Ordered one today. Let’s see how we do. Hoping to have some fun with the modular and the 404.

2 Likes

They go together like buttcheeks.

Especially applying effects. I like using the different delays and slicer on a DFAM sequence to break out of the 8 step loop.

2 Likes

I’m sure this is in the manual, but do time based effects (slice, delay, etc) sync to midi clock?

Yes.

1 Like

Still a prospective buyer, quick question.

Is it possible to process the SP through DAW effects and then sample the processed signal (back into the SP) all via usb c? Thx in advance!

1 Like

It looks even more cryptic and confusing than Elektron gear! Not to mention the piss poor documentation that Roland is notorious for. I’m spoiled working in modular that has good documentation and Elektron also good documentation. I’ve had to learn by trial and error with Roland and Korg gear as the docs are quite bad!

1 Like

It works for me. In Ableton I have an audio track with input from SP 1/2 via USB and master output to SP 1/2 again via USB. I have a Utility to add some gain, and a delay on the track to test if it works.

I enable Ext Source, make sure I can hear the effect, then hit resample button (Ext In mode only, not mix). I resampled as normal and it recorded the effected sound.

Now there may have been some phasing issues so YMMV but so far it seemed to work. Its all I have time for right now.

1 Like