Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

It’s more like, if you use the resampling workflow, the SP404 forces you NOT to quantise. That’s what makes it so much fun.

3 Likes

Good first couple of days with this thing. I haven’t had time to really dig in yet because of work, but I have been able to work through a lot of the basic functions.

It will definitely take me a while to get the muscle memory down and get truly comfortable, but my initial impression is that most stuff is pretty logical, although there are a few quirks (like I wish the effect screen wouldn’t disappear so quickly).

I’m loving how easy it is to connect to my computer, iPhone, and iPad! That’s gonna be huge for me in terms of workflow.

I have barely scratched the surface with the effects. There is a LOT on offer and because of layering you can really transform the samples through resampling. This is going to take a long time to truly understand all the possibilities I think. I’m not even planning on using the Bus 3-4 effects until I have a mostly complete track down and will probably just use them as final polish before recording.

I’ve just been screwing around with the stock stuff for learning pattern record and resampling, and tweaking settings. From tomorrow I’m going to start working in a brand new project and start sampling my own stuff. I think that’s going to be the real way to learn the machine. I need a clean slate.

How far along are people with getting comfortable with your SPs? I’m expecting it to take at least a few weeks to feel like I know my way around properly, but we’ll see how it goes.

Gonna go into the music shop either tomorrow or Monday to get the proper mic cable, and also need to plug in my guitar and bass to give that a try. So much to experiment with!

(Oh, I did manage to crash it once the first day, which was weird. Even turning it off didn’t fix it. I had to take out the batteries. Not sure what I did, but it’s been stable ever since. Knock wood).

5 Likes

Same here. Just been goofing around with efx and all that. It’s so different from my usual workflow and that is still something I’m getting use to. Tried Sampling today via USB-C, but got stuck - it shows “Wait” and doesn’t sample. :man_shrugging:t2: Probably a setting on the Count-in or whatever.

True. I noticed it takes a few passes to draw the waveform but was wondering if those passes are more for layering because almost immediately the sample can play. Or maybe even just a straight bar showing how much sample is left to play for that pad?

Other first impressions.

I really like the size and weight. It feels sturdy to me, but is super lightweight. It’s super comfortable to work with laying in bed with headphones because it’s so lightweight and with the backlighting you can see all the functions clearly in low light. You kind of have to memorize the sub functions if you work in low light, but that really hasn’t been a problem.

Ergonomically, it’s just a nice size to work on. I do wish that some functions didn’t have to be done with two hands though.

Also, as others have mentioned it’s a lot darker in person. I was thinking I was going to get a skin, but it looks so classy, I might just keep it stock, at least for a while.

You do have to customize the pad settings I’ve found. I tried the settings that someone suggested early on, but was still getting double triggers, so I adjusted it a bit.

Oh, and while I was hating not having a PDF manual, I’m finding the search function on the online manual is actually really good for finding stuff quickly on the iPhone.

8 Likes

[Remain] + FX will keep the FX screen on until you switch away from it manually. However, I think they will change this behaviour in an upcoming update, so many complaints about this one.

Other helpful shortcut:
[Enter] + Pad will select a pad without triggering it

Thought it would take me months. After a week of nonstop action with it (in which I abandoned the pattern sequencer and just focussed on the resampling workflow) it’s becoming second nature. So it goes rather quickly. For some reason I find the handling of patterns / the pattern sequencer different to the resampling flow. That’s why I chose to focus on making stuff via resampling first.

100%!!

8 Likes

I think I’ll buy the first cheap 2nd hand one … later this year when the market is saturated and all the noobs sell their device again. Probably Q3 end of 2022…?

Sampling and not using uploaded loops also are much more satisfying on the DT …and every other sampler - that I learned as well. If only the 1 GB limit wasn’t on the DT … that’s the main reason for me wanting a 404.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! That’s gonna be a big help.

Good to know you’ve picked it up so quickly! I envision ultimately wanting some combination of pattern mode and resampling. Interestingly enough, that guy Nonjuror on YouTube that’s a huge SP head told me on YouTube that he uses pattern mode 100% of the time now. I found that quite surprising, but it shows pattern mode is quite capable on the new machine now.

1 Like

I’d also like to see the setting for quantization remain where you leave it, in the sequencer. I’ll set a pad 1 sequence @ 4 bars, w/a “16 Shuffle” set to 12-15, and even when I go back to that particular sequence, and press “Record Setting”, it seems to have defaulted back to the standard quantize setting.

2 Likes

I sold mine for that reason.

The realisation that I could do all those things with my Mpc Live. I did prefer some of the FX on the SP though.

But my purchase was classic GAS. Absolutely didn’t need one in the end, as I had it all to begin with.

1 Like

Just received my SP404 MKII (ordered last week!). Looking forward to try it for the 1st time, have to wait a few hours. I have no experience or history with the SP404 series, so I’m very curious if it suits me.

2 Likes

I wonder what would happen if Elektron would give the Octatrack some new pads and a few more options and then send it out to all youtubers for free. Would everybody buy one? Probably. It’s just funny to me that these SP’s have been around for years and only now some more people realise what joy it is to play around with them. Is it the new functions that draws people to it or is it actually the marketing?

No matter what though, i’m happy for the “new” SP heads who just start enjoying the 404 workflow. These boxes are pure fun. (Paired with some occasionally heavy headscratching:)

2 Likes

Unless you’re sold on the resampling method, then the MK2 doesn’t have much to recommend it, over the MPC’s supreme sequencing functionality.

For me, coming from an old-school, human timing multitrack background, I love the versatility of the MK2’s size, battery power, and overall workflow. The instant load times are also dope. Jumping between projects in under 5 seconds is a real treat.

2 Likes

I have to admit, the video made by Loopop interested me for the MKII. My main use with the MKII will be sampling/resampling. That combined with the portability(size and weight), the possibility to connect it direct to my iPad via USB-C convinced me to give it a fair chance.
I was very lucky that I could buy a returned MKII last week, with a nice price reduction too.
This evening I will have time to turn it on the first time, looking forward to it.

2 Likes

for me its that I always wanted to play with one but couldnt really see the need when I always had other units that can do everything it does. then the mk2 hype popped up and crashed the prices on the SX a bit so I started shopping around but didnt end up getting one. got one as a gift and im over the moon with it. but to answer the question

without a shadow of a doubt. they could probably put a new volume knob cap on it and everyone would buy it. id definitely get a mk2 404 but not until I can walk into a shop and buy one.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Super excited for you — but also sad given I’m still waiting for my preorder. Shipping is so random right now!

2 Likes

Did you guys get any SD card in the box?

Thanks, very kind of you!

I realize I was very lucky to get one. Also bought a (used) M8 tracker last week. So I guess the lottery at the end of this month will not be a problem to win :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, a SD-card is not provided.

Thanks. I didn’t either and suddenly thought I’d read somewhere that it came with a 1GB card.