Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Ah, interesting. Maybe there are different types of TRS? Some for microphones, some for line with different specifications?

As you can tell, I’m really an ass with cables :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m bummed the TS cable I bought doesn’t work, but there are a couple of reviews claiming people got bad ones, so I’m thinking that is a possibility.

1 Like

Firmware updated and editor downloaded. I’m trying to figure out the best way to approach things, but since I can’t do any serious work with it until the weekend, I think I’ll just play around with the stock samples for a couple of days before clearing the device.

I have to say, as much as I was sick of some of them from the demo videos, there’s some nice sounding stuff in here.

1 Like

Do you have an iPad with a USB C cable? That was a great first contact for me, searching stuff on youtube and instant sampling.

1 Like

Yep! Need to test out my various USB C cables too, so definitely a good idea. I figure I’ll wipe the stock samples and try to make a proper first beat this weekend, but since I only have a couple of hours over the next day or so, I figure this is the time to just screw around and try to internalize the basic workflows, get used to the pads, etc. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten a new hardware sampler. I’m stoked.

3 Likes

XLR to TS definitely works with any dynamic microphone (if the cable and mic are intakt of course ;)). I have used an AKG D5, an SM57 and two no name dynamic microphones on the SP404 and all of them worked no problem. Make sure your input switch is set to “mic” turn up the preamp and make sure EXT SOURCE is active and you should be good to go. If your mic is fine and the settings are right, then most certainly the cable is broken/out of order.

3 Likes

Yep. Pretty sure it’s the cable.

I was drawn to delete the stock sounds too, but then thought of opening a new project instead, I’ll delete them later but no need to choose either/or yet. Just in case it didn’t occur to you (didn’t to me immediately :wink: )

3 Likes

Good idea! I was thinking of exporting the stock sounds to the card, but opening a new project gives a clean slate.

1 Like

Don’t rush to wipe them. Just start a fresh project (shift + sub pad). You may want to revisit them later.

EDIT: someone beat me to it!

2 Likes

Wow! It’s like a breath of fresh air playing with this thing. :sweat_smile: Don’t torch me, I am in no way saying this is better than an MPC or Elektron, but it is so fun to play with and the immediacy is just so refreshing. Sure, my finger drumming ain’t the best and the timing is off, but I got music out of this thing without the minutiae of programming or setting up key groups and p-locks. I never thought I’d fall for this style of music making but it sure is fun, and I’m only a few hours into it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

Its why SPs are classics

2 Likes

Only gave this a fairly quick try, but seems to work fine…

Thanks, that’s great news!

Crema can eat my dust.

8 Likes

New SP Grrl design up @ Teepublic. This is not really marketing :joy: They don’t pay enough. This is just me having fun drawing stuff, so if you want it on a shirt, hit me up @

3 Likes

Is it possible to connect 2 units of the SPs via USB-C to move sounds around? It allows a “mobile device” to connect using EXT SOURCE, so technically speaking it should?

This is the kind of post that keeps me waiting for my pre order.

1 Like

Could you kindly explain how you did this was it simple :slight_smile:

The hype is real. If you come from a place where everything is so perfectly aligned, and loosening the steps is also programmed or chanced by an algorithm, the SP is the most analog of all digital beatmakers. I am finding music in imperfection and that’s very liberating.

3 Likes