Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

people complaining about being able to customize the startup and screensavers on the site for a company that sells groove boxes with special sticker packs to individualize their synths lol

im probably going to get one and will def customize it :stuck_out_tongue: theres a long tradition of people customizing roland sp samplers

2 Likes

the OLED screen is a critical addition for me to make the most of this deviceā€¦I really like this, may just get one for the fun of it.

1 Like

Get a myvolts cable and a battery pack :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s unlikely, but if the usb c port could support a hub so you could use an external hd and keyboard (I hate playing baselines with pads) :exploding_head:. Itā€™s listed as audio/midi but I wonder if it supports midi in and out? Same goes for the audio!

The pics show midi in and out + L/R in and L/R out on 1/4" jacks. Click

1 Like

Iā€™m talking about the USB C port though. Can always use my Keystep with the traditional (mini) DIN ports which is fine, but I have so many other midi keyboards that are USB A only (that could possibly be plugged into a USB hub)

Ah, sorry. Midi on usb usually is for in and out if the device supports that (so probaply yes), for the audio side, weā€™ll have to wait.

1 Like

It actually looks like the bidirectional USB audio is covered in the description!

ā€œcapture audio from or stream direct to your mobile device via USBā€

3 Likes

i have gas over this like no other gear out there *:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

edit: *i can afford right now lol

5 Likes

Same here, i will preorder this asap! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Curious when itā€™ll be out. Looks ready to me

He was friends with Dr. Groove. I heard they went on a boat trip together. Man, I miss my Dr. Groove though. They should make an mk2ā€¦

3 Likes

Will they launch the preorders already, the cat is out of the bag innit :smiley:

4 Likes

The question you do need to ask is if itā€™s usb audio/midi host or just device.

If itā€™s device only then it needs a usb host, if it works as host as well then things are looking better

Since it has only one usb port it is very likely not an usb host port. Otherwise you couldnā€™t connect it to a PC directly (usb host to host doesnā€™t work).

Teenage Engineering OP-Z is both host and client usb midi. And just client usb audio. And has only one usb-c port :slight_smile:

1 Like

Holy shit I was about to get a push 2 for chopping and sampling but this device has allured me since seeing the Madlib documentary where he jams out beat tapes on just a SP404.

Might persuade me.

Any word on release date / price in EU?

1 Like

Roland is stepping up to the plate this year. Iā€™m very curious what the pads are like because the previous 404 pads suck. But either way Iā€™m buying this. Thought I was done buying hardware, Guess not. This is just too compelling.

1 Like

Ehm, it looks like intermediate Photoshop creation.
No display glow/reflections. Very questionable fonts for this type of display. Top screws are copy/paste with no drop shadow from them. Degraded/blurred image quality on the sides, some Clone Stamp tool work on top left side . Too much text/labels on and around the buttons, bad UI layout.

Then it was a hoax by Sam Ash. It was up for a while.

5 Likes