Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

I basically just use Hall 1 and Room, they don’t sound bad on guitar but there is a pretty small useable range for me. I also hope more will be added later.

I used to have an RC-202 Loop Station and I really disliked the reverbs on that, so I went in with pretty low expectations. Still surprising that Roland doesn’t tap its knowledge of reverbs from its guitar line to offer some better stuff.

3 Likes

Wasapi has no inputs in Bitwig. Download Asio4all driver.
Then just kill the ext-in button when feeding back into daw.

1 Like

Cheers, going to have a full day experimenting today… will try ASIO4ALL.
I like to leave a hardware sampler on my DAW master out ready to capture anything then feeding that back into my DAW all at the same time so will need to see if I can get a decent workflow with the SP.

1 Like

Anyone else wish there were the option to adjust gain of a sample, not just volume?

Sampled stuff comes out a little quiet at times, but normalisation is such a crude tool to bring up the gain.

Function could easily be implemented via SHIFT + Knob C on the Pitch & Speed screen.

Also, I’d love additional options on the record settings…mix or ext in, ok that’s already great…but how about some sort of “remain” or “pad input” — then I could playback a loop, hit resample, choose a bass sample, switch to chromatic mode, and record the bassline to the loop while only capturing the bassline on the new pad. Would result in a well timed performance while also allowing for gain staging and mix/match arranging between loops.

Yeah, that would be a nice edition. If they get chromatic function working in the pattern mode, it might be enough since you would then also have the added ability to delete stuff from the sequence if need be. I would love a little graphic representation like Koala as well.

I’m also with everyone else that the default screen should definitely not be BPM. I’m sort of sick of staring at 90, although it’s a nice number. :slight_smile:

I also want to just keep saying how much I want the ability to have the metronome on at any time for Skip Back (not recorded obviously). That would really enhance the Skip Back functionality. Seems like a big oversight.

2 Likes

Ah, I was actually thinking today that normalization sounds better to me now than it originally did, so much so that I was wondering if that was in the improvements in the latest OS (probably not). I’ve used it to bring the level up on some cymbals in the past day or so, and it worked great. I did lower the volume then a bit on a couple after normalization, but surprisingly it worked better than my first attempts with it.

All improvements are welcome though!

2 Likes

Version 0.12 of the guide is posted at Roland SP-404 mk2 Guide v0.12 – NearTao's Blog or the usual link.

I spent some time trying to focus on the Data section, and starting to figure out a little bit about how the mk2 organizes information. To really figure out the .bin file format will absolutely take some time, but it may be beneficial to figuring out how to create a pattern editor or other things. I figure this is quite a ways off for me to think about for now, but I think it could certainly provide some valuable insight into how the mk2 works.

7 Likes

The stock dates I’m reading in this thread are seriously disturbing (September now) :grimacing:

Big thanks for this guide, really useful!

1 Like

were they selling the actual machines or pre-orders?

I didn’t really look at 404mkII previously but this mk2 has pretty much what i wanted from my long gone OG404. and plus that now i think i really can get rid of my maschine mk3.

Actual units, had 5 in stock at that time. Went quick!

Can confirm, they just shipped mine today from that batch. I’d sign up for their notifications as it looks like they do not have a backorder/pre order list.

2 Likes

Some early impressions after a about two hours of use.

• fun and immediate!
  • finger drumming needs practice. Tried suggested pad settings but might need further adjustments
  • not friends with the effects yet. What bus, off or on and how to find ideal settings will take time to learn. They seem quite disconnected from the sampling. Also like someone mentioned the effects do not feel tuned, meaning usable ranges are on narrow parts of the full sweeps.
  • entirely different philosophy from the superlogical way elektron designs the ux/workflow in their stuff. It may be me but the initial learning curve is quite steep
  • sampling, chopping etc is simple and fun even for a relative newbie
  • my first pattern experiments have produced quite laughable results :joy: but that might be me. Got that reported drop out of notes at the loop point but have not updated the firmware yet. I’m thinking of posting that for laughs. And it may cure someone’s GAS.
  • have run on batteries mostly and that feels great. Also prefer how the unit feels more substantial with the added weight
  • connecting by usb-c to my iPad Pro super smooth and super simple

Have ordered this based on recommendation from accurate beats on YouTube
Got UK adapter which is not of much use in Sweden.
https://myvolts.de/product/47472/Roland_Sampler_SP-404-MKII_USB_power_supply_cable_&_portable_adapter__charger_on_the_go

So far so good

5 Likes

I use this one, seems better quality than the Ripcord. I also use the Birdcord 12V for my Octatrack/Digitone. Never had any problems.

5 Likes

Congrats. Yeah, a steep curve for sure if you aren’t used to the workflow.

Thanx! I just ordered this one.

1 Like

Awesome work with the guide man! Definitly helpful.

Same, Birdcords are excellent! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Might get one of these. Then power options would be AC, USB, USB-C, AA batteries.
Should cover all bases!

2 Likes

I highly recommend Birdcord. My one powers the DT and OT with no issues. Nice little bag too.

2 Likes