Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Mine said 10 to 12 weeks still on thomann Germany and then it just shipped last week. I ordered on October 14 though. My assumption is that thomann is such a big player, they know how to get stocks faster than others but I may be completely wrong.

1 Like

Just got home and was able to give this a try. I am pretty sure I was able to do what you were looking to do!

1)Press Pattern Sequencer
2)Then Press Resample
3)Choose pad for Resampled copy
4)Press Record Setting
5)Choose ExtIn
6)Press Pattern of your drum loop or whatever you wanna jam over
7)Press Record to finish Resample
8)Resample pad will only have whatever you recorded through the Ext!!! It wonā€™t have the pattern baked in!

9 Likes

I originally ordered through Andertonā€™s on the release day, but it was going to be a long wait so I also signed up to the Juno alert.

Got an email end of November that Juno had stock, clicked and bought immediately, no waiting. Cancelled Andertonā€™s.

The good thing about Juno is theyā€™re not doing preorders so itā€™s first come first serve on the day they get stock.

You have to keep an eye on your emails and be quick when they come in.

Theyā€™ve had at least 2 deliveries since release day and I think they were around 10 units each time.

Just tested this out it works!! Just follow the steps I wrote in my OG reply!

2 Likes

We should set up a separate SP404 MK2 tips and tricks thread.

There are so many good tips in this thread, I try and keep track but they get lost in the 20,000 posts!

6 Likes

This is great, thank you for the detailed description!
Iā€™m trying to figure out if thereā€™s a way to resample what I play on the 404 pads while monitoring the external inputs, but without recording the external inputs. At the moment, I think itā€™s not possible. I hope they will add the option of ā€˜internalā€™ to the record settings in addition to ā€˜mixā€™ and ā€˜externalā€™ in a firmware update. And while theyā€™re at it, recording only bus 1 or bus 2 separately would be great.
My workaround is to just use the metronome to record things separately, but it would be nice to have a sequence from the digitone coming into the external ins of the sp and resampling some finger drumming without also recording what the digitone is doing.
Thatā€™s about the biggest ā€˜problemā€™ I have with the unit so far. But the rest is so much fun, that Iā€™ll probably just get used to it.
(Another option would be to just buy a mixer, of course, lol)

3 Likes

Iā€™m confused :blush:. I canā€™t seems to start resampling by any other mean than pressing a pad (empty or containing a sample/pattern)

For sampling, yes, either metronome count-in or wait for signal or off.

Is that what you are referring to?

Try This!

1. Shift pad 13

2)Click on system

3)Use CTRL 3 knob to scroll to the click section of the system settings

4)In this menu you will be find Count in-Record & Count in Pattern (record is the same settings for sampling and resampling)

Each have 4 options: Off/1 Measure/2 Measure/Wait (Waits until threshold or pad press)

Thatā€™s how I do it. I was just asking for the wait function or at least a count in before the resample starts. ā€˜Problemā€™ is, I have to press the pad to start the resample and truncate the 1st bar out afterwards.

1 Like

My bad. You are correct even if you setup a count-in for Record and Pattern. It still only gives you the option to Press Pad to Start. Maybe its a bug?

1 Like

Well it makes sense so that your recording start is in sync with what is plays against, so you donā€™t have to realign the start marker after the fact.

I lost track in the many messages we wrote: what is the use case for wanting to resample with count-in?

I for my taste, Iā€™d still love a count-in in this way: I press a pad to resample, hear the count-in and then the recording starts with the sample/pattern I started, so that I have time to pick y instrument and start playing on the one.

Thanks, I did this yesterday actually, the support desk said they canā€™t give any dates for next stock currently which is fair enough. Also got email alert set up from GAK. Might put a deposit on GG pre-order anyway if itā€™s refundable.

Yeah, thatā€™s why I was suggesting adding a 4 or 8-bar pattern as a count in, and then deleting it when you are done if there is no count in option, as a workaround unless there is a better way.

Thatā€™s a way, but still, I like the beginning of the recording to match the beginning of the pattern, without having to adjust the start point in the recorded sample. Which the method you share would still require.

Well, Iā€™ll get used to adjust the start point (which is even more challenging if you donā€™t play on the 1.)

1 Like

Yeah, not a perfect method.

If you donā€™t mind overdubbing on top of the pattern, then it will be easier to find the start point because itā€™s when the pattern starts, which would probably be the preferred method I think if you were just going in to just layer some small overdubs into the pattern that donā€™t start on the one (ie, donā€™t record the part separately on its own pad, but rather mixed with the pattern).

If you are just playing a guitar chord progression or something, you could just record yourself to the metronome without the pattern. A good way to develop musical chops I suppose.

To be honest one of the reasons Iā€™m looking forward to getting the SP404mkii is to encourage me to practice more. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one!

1 Like

SW in the US hit my card late last night and its shipping today. Pretty cool. I got a pretty decent amount of gear over the past few months and am still a bit overwhelmed. That said, I may try and use the MKii to sample a long synth take or something and mess with it so I at least can learn the effects and get it in a track right away.

I am guessing the resampling starts right away so the starting timing will be the same as when I sample the synth. If so I can just resample into another pad and drag that WAV off and into the DAW and it should line up.

Great I just ordered the same one from Amazon. Ā£9! SDs have really dropped in price since I last bought one in 2012!

1 Like

I got notification from Sweetwater that my MK2 shipped this morning. FWIW, I preordered the morning of 10/13 (the release date). Looking forward to this in a big way.

6 Likes

I finally put the SP with the rest of my instruments - I used it alone with the iPad and headphones for the first few days. Cool, Iā€™ll be able to play with it along/sample my other gear.

But here is the puzzle: everything, including the SP, is connected to a Xone 96. I can jam everything, sounds great (happy to hear the little things I did on the SP on my nice speakers, happy surprise).

I connected the Record output of the Xone 96 to the SP thinking Iā€™ll be able to sample whatever Iā€™m hearing. But, to sample in the SP, Ext In has to be on, and thereā€™s no monitoring volume. Thereā€™s no sampling/resampling without monitoring (hearing) the input.

I can find another way but wanted to make sure Iā€™m not missing anything here. Did I miss something?? :slight_smile:

Wish I could dial in the BUS3/4 presets without hearing them while skipping through. Shift + Turn Encoder could work so easy.

1 Like