Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Have you tried the sequencer yet? That may help get you what you are looking for.

1 Like

I found 12-15 on “Shuffle 16” setting is the sweet spot for boom bap.

Not yet :slight_smile:

I basically just meant that it captures long single takes that can be pitched, edited, and resampled with effects. It definitely doesn’t work well as a multitrack recorder since it can’t record onto a timeline, but @HoldMyBeer is right in suggesting the sequencer as an alternative to that. It’s limited but affective with layering parts; and with each recorded layer you’re able to adjust the swing and time-correction, or turn it off completely for a looser feel.

2 Likes

I still don’t have mine, but one question as I wait.

I remember hearing that you can resample patterns on the mkii. Can you resample a pattern chain? For instance, sample two four-bar patterns to make an eight bar pattern?

1 Like

Yes, that is how I have been making some tracks. I will set up the pattern chain, and then resample the output onto a new pad. Then, once on the pad I may add more FX and resample that, or just play out into the DAW. Of course, once it is final and on the pad, you could also grab just grab it off with the app.

3 Likes

Cool. I thought that was the case! If that’s the case, my theory (since I don’t have a mkii yet) is that it should work fine as a “tape recorder”, because after, for instance, you create a couple of four-bar patterns, you could resample them into an eight bar pattern. Have that playing and then say record a synth or guitar or whatever from the external input and choose “mix” to record as a layer on top of that 8-bar section, rather than just recording the external input to a pad separately.

Now you should be able to record freely over those 8-bars, rather than being constrained by the bar line as you would from working with four-bar patterns.

At least that’s what I was envisioning.

2 Likes

Yup, that should work.

1 Like

The ability to combine pattern and resample mode is such an amazing feature. I love that you can mix and match.

I can’t believe Japan is so far behind with getting units. I was really hoping to get mine in December as that’s what the shop implied when I ordered back in October. Oh well, maybe Roland will iron out some of the OS bugs before I get mine.

2 Likes

RE the gate question:
Hold EXIT and hit the pad you want to stop playing

3 Likes

Ahhh, thanks. I’ve started the manual and didn’t come that far yet. Great!

Edit: or rather I skipped the one page about Gate, thought I knew it all. Well :slight_smile:. I’m slightly anoyed but the format of the manual by the way. I much prefer a good old PDF…

2 Likes

Same here. Part of me hopes they are envisioning feature updates, so wanted a fluid manual, but that’s wishful thinking.

Haha. Yeah. I hate it.

I’m thinking in buy one this Christmas, but still having one question. This sampler autodetect bpm from incoming audio for use it like a dj sampler?

I believe I found my answer. Actually when using Resample, set to Ext in, I can record a take while other pads are playing.

The recording starts when I press the pad that has an existing sample. This way, the new recording will have the same start as the other one and playing them back at the same time (via pad link or by sequencing them), they should keep their alignement.

I know it isn’t the most fashionable way of using a 404 but that’s one that I’d like to try :slight_smile:. 16 minutes of recording, why not!

4 Likes

Nope. you have to set the bpm by yourself.

Is this a black faceplate - custom? Or just the light? I thought they were only silver faceplate.
It looks great!
I’m really tempted to pre-order one. Best estimate looks like end Jan - early Feb for UK retailers (Thomas, GAK) unless anyone knows better?

Mine is a very dark gray, it’s classy and looks beautiful (for my taste)

1 Like

Yes, it’s much darker than I expected. Doesn’t look out of place at all next to a digitakt or digitone.

2 Likes

It does look properly smart, darker the better. If only it wasn’t pre-orders only I could put one under the xmas tree. I’ve seen a couple of used ones for about twice retail, more pricing madness :weary:

2 Likes

Sad…

1 Like