Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

it works with Dropbox and it downloads / caches on demand.
I don’t have One Drive

1 Like

Ach, ok i understand. I have OneDrive and no Dropbox.

Well, maybe some day :blush:. I believe there’s a free version of OneDrive if you’d like to look at it. :wink:

Would love to hear some of your first experiments …using all the DJ / scatter FX — if you got something to share, I‘m all in! Also from you @hausland

2 Likes

That turned out to be a piece of junk. Terrible build quality and a broken knob. Will try to get my money back. Sounds pretty terrible too, or I should say “Lo-Fi”. GAS goes on. :joy:

3 Likes

Oops, sorry! :joy: I love my PO33 to just mess with which is what I thought your brief was

It was, but I quickly realized it wasn’t really for me. The sound quality is a bit too gritty for my taste. That said, I probably would have gotten a better first impression if it wasn’t broken though, but I have a hard time seeing how I’d enjoy using this as a bedside sampler. For the price, it feels like Koala would be a better fit for me (if only it had a step sequencer).

1 Like

Edit: Taking out unfunny joke :grimacing:

If you have an apple laptop Koala is free with all the extras (samurai mode for chopping etc) so you could try that out and get it for your phone if you like it maybe.

First crash / freeze last night. All pads lit green except for pad 3; flickering, rapid red. Couldn’t change screens. Flicked power off. Unit stayed on, even with switch in “off” position. Disconnected from AC, and it powered down. restarted w/o incident.

:grimacing:

I’ve had some properly sketchy stuff going on with mine too. I’m powering and outputting audio over USB-C with a MacBook Pro. Some pretty major audio glitches at times. And it’s freaked out and restarted a couple of times too. Certainly wouldn’t want to use it as is for any kind of live performance! I haven’t really used it with the bundled power supply and audio in/outs yet though.

1 Like

This happened to me once early on as I was going through all the multi fx. Thankfully it hasn’t happened again.

I’m loving it though, all my other gear has been collecting dust. The only things I want from Roland are the few bugs fixed and for chromatic mode to work in patterns :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was doing. Scrolling through MFX.

Oh god, I’m now on the latest OS. The input effects with a microphone are really good. To me they sound great and the few controls make them just flexible enough. Vocoder, pitch effects, chorus, very inspiring.

Coming later with a beat :blush:

4 Likes

Now that I have the instrument, this seems to not work.

Anybody found a way to select a pad without triggering it (for example I would turn the volume down before launching)

Another one: does anyone know of a way to stop a non looping sample without stopping everything?

Actually for the latter I found one. Leave the sample on gate, trigger it and press hold, then pressing the pad again stops the sample.

Mine arrived today. Couldn’t take my hands off of it for 5 hour straight. First impression is that it’s really nice, built quality is very good. Already found a few quirks, some of which might be due to the fact that it’s brand new to me I don’t now my way around it just yet. Skip back sampling is so addictive!

6 Likes

I received my mkii a few days ago and was finally able to spend some time with it.

I bought it with the intention of using it as an effects processor and glorified tape recorder and I feel like it’s exceeded my expectations in both of these areas. The effects are basically a combination of sweet spots and work well for glueing samples together, adding texture and dimension.

There are certain decisions with the ui and workflow that make it less intuitive, particularly when comparing it to the koala app (my go-to for quick sampling) but on a whole, it’s really fun and inspiring to use and I’m happy that I bought it. I’m excited to be able to be able to incorporate it into my larger setup- sampling my other gear into it, creating loops and patterns that I spice up the with effects, and then then bouncing all of it to my M8 or Octatrack.

Also, skipback is the single mosy inspiring addition. It’s a game-changer for the SP workflow.

6 Likes

I wonder: how do you use it as a glorified tape recorder - I’m also thinking about that, recording long takes that then make a piece.

The aspect I’m not sure about is how to record takes that would play back with the same relative start as when I record them.

It seems to me it’s not really possible. I could imagine aligning a new take by setting its start market to taste, by ear, and then sequence the takes to start at the same time. Is that how you do it?

I think when they are referring to using it as a glorified tape recorder, they are referring to the resample method. As far as taking the different parts and having them playback as a full track, on the Mk2 it is easy to do with the song mode.

1 Like

It looks like they call it “Pattern Chain”, instead of “Song Mode” as I had said in my last post. Although you may have to load/play your different sections into different patterns first.

I found this video manual very helpful, and there are timestamps in the description as well if you need to jump around to different sections of the video.

Another way, and one way I used to it on older units, would be once you have got your different sections all set, you could just have those loop however many times you want for each section while resampling, and then you have longer sections to work with to build up a track.

1 Like

Don’t think anyone’s answered yet so… Press the encoder in and press the pad you want :raised_hands:

7 Likes

I see, thanks, makes sense.

What I’m after is recording a long sample on a pad, as a take on a multi-track. Then another on another pad to go with the first. When I accept (and I like that) that timing may be not 100% deterministing for aligning these “takes”, it’s fun!

If there’s a way to make it more deterministic, I’m all ears!

1 Like