Roland SH101 as a MIDI-keyboard. Any ideas?

I ordered midi/cv converter for my SH101.
So, anybody heard anything about SH101 as midi-keyboard?

And a video by me as a bonus :stuck_out_tongue:
www.instagram.com/p/BZH8fGkACnc/?taken-by=me.wav

Oh dude! Tell me then…
I just bought a midi/cv converter too for SH101! It’s russian box called “Cebus”. It works perfect with Ableton. But won’t work with OT. I’m already tried it with my Octatrack but when I was in Saint-Petersburg this summer with my friend. And it works well. OT+SH101 via midi/converter

But for now It won’t work. What settings should I put to OT to make it all works. At my PC it works very well.

@Uncle_Gordon ,
How is the Cebus connected to your PC+Ableton? Does it have USB? How are they interfaced? Are the SH-101 keys controlling Ableton, or is Ableton sequencing the SH-101 synthesizer?

As I understand it, the Cebus is a MIDI to CV converter.

Your SH-101 outputs CV.
Your OT takes MIDI input.

Therefore, in order to use the SH-101 keys to send MIDI to your OT, you would need a different type of converter…
Instead of “MIDI to CV”, you would need a “CV to MIDI” converter (they are not the same, as the conversion is unidirectional)

Kenton Pro CV to MIDI is the most exceptional converter for CV to MIDI conversion in my testing, and I’ve tested just about all of them.

No-no! I only want to write MIDI-tracks in OT via converter for SH-101, you see?

It’s connected like this:
Cebus (CV/GATE) via PreSonus AudioBox (MIDI) connected to Macbook (USB)

This is MIDI settings in Ableton…

This only confuses the issue more.
You have MIDI coming FROM AND TO the AudioBox. Doesn’t really tell me much about the direction of control. It only tells me that you are using an AudioBox

Can you post a pic of the Cebus box’s labeled input/output ports, please?

When I say “How is the Cebus connected to your PC+Ableton?” , please be specific.

Which ports of each piece of hardware are connected to which ports of the other hardware, with which kind of cables?

Again, for what you say you want to do (send MIDI from the SH-101 into the OT, i.e. “SH101 as midi-keyboard” ), a CV to MIDI converter is required. A MIDI to CV converter will not do the job, as the SH-101 does not send MIDI.

1 Like

No-no wait! Now I have converter! Which only can do … ehh… things you just said but visa-versa!

I want to write notes and pitches on Octatrack.

There’s a photo

“Write notes and pitches on the OT”,

Be more specific.

Using the MIDI keys from SH-101?

Or using the chromatic KB on OT, and sending those notes to the SH-101 synth?

Yeah! Second variant. Well I did some connection. And now notes triggering but I don’t know how to properly use this. Knobs don’t making pitches it only does GATE :’((((

Blyat’! Why it’s not working xD

I fixed it! Everything works fine. Midi learn button on a converter helped.

2 Likes