Roland JX-08 & JD-08

I‘m interested in the JX if it convincingly does some of the classic roland sounds I like so much.
It looks great, the advanced sequencer features and bitimbrality are really nice steps forward in the boutique range.
The jd08 (and jd800) sounds I heard so far are not my cup of tea.

I heard some awesome bass sounds in demos of the jx3p. Was the jx8p similar in that regard?

AFAIK the JX 8P was better suited for bass sounds due to his solo and unison play modes.

Here some German well written articles about the three, including audio demos:

JX3P

JX8P

JX10

You might also be interested in the list of Roland filter and their description by Florian Anwander:

http://www.florian-anwander.de/roland_filters/

1 Like

Nice. Thanks!

1 Like

Here’s a good article with audio examples for the JX8P in English: https://greatsynthesizers.com/en/review/roland-jx-8p-a-good-all-rounder/

1 Like

I recommend the PG8X VST if you want to hear what it’s capable of; it’s the reason why I sold my JX8P.

6 Likes

Stumbled upon this JD-800 vid by Katsunori Ujiie. It’s funny how every single JD-08/JD-800 demo video I’ve found features that guitar lead preset. But nice sound demos as one would expect from Ujiie-sensei

Around 1:45 he shows Palette sliders
Around 2 min. he gets into sound tweaks with the sliders
Around 8 min. he gets into playing the sliders again

3 Likes

The bitimbrality is amazing, you even get separate effects (except a shared reverb), separate LFOs, separate envelopes. The possibilities are nearly endless, unless I’ve misunderstood something here. Does anyone know if a patch saves both timbres into a save slot? This isn’t clear from the annoying online manual.

I agree, it sounds like a cheap 90s commercial and I struggle to see how I would ever use that sound in a song unless I played in a band on a ferry between Sweden and Finland.

5 Likes

I’ve decided I’m definitely getting the JX-08 when it’s available in stores. Watched a few sound demos of the JX-8P and I love it. If the JX-08 can do that and more, plus offer an arp, a two-part sequencer and the ability to play on batteries for hours and fit in any bag (or in bed), it’s a no-brainer to me.

1 Like

It does look fun. Looking at the two, I’ve realized that the JX seems much more useable. I might grab one too at some point.

2 Likes

I need to get myself a trip on one of those ferrys!!! :grinning: In all seriousness, I think context is key and demos often do sound very much of their age - that said, I think the jx-08 also sounds of it’s age too - it just seems to be that doesn’t have as many negative conotations for a lot of folk. But, I think when you push the early 90s rompler sounds into a different context it can sound really interesting and has a timbre that sets them apart from other thing - keep in mind some of the awesome stuff that Autechre did with rompler slap bass sounds…

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right! Both are actually quite easy to pinpoint the prime time dacade of, and the 80s sound is no doubt more trendy right now in general. That said, objectively speaking, I would think that a subtractive analogue synthesizer will be a lot easier to make timeless and bring into a more modern sounding track due to its flexible nature. Add a quick filter decay on a saw with a hint of detuning and some noise and you’ve got a pretty timeless pluck. Not so much with a kalimba sample.

Perhaps the JD-08 can do that too though; I’m sure it has a few of those standard waveforms as part of its pcm bank. But if it does, the demo of it certainly didn’t give that impression as nearly all of the sounds had that 90s Fångad av en stormvind vibe to it (search for it on YouTube, you’re in for a treat! :joy:).

Ultimately the JD-08 feels a bit like “here, you get a synth with 100 built-in sounds that you can mix and max however you want!” That said, I do look forward to hearing what interesting new sounds users will generate with it given that the JD-800 has never been more accessible than now (read: January 2022). I’m guessing it will be a really useful pad generator. And I’m sure it’s ahead of its time because inevitably, the 90s is bound to get trendy real soon!

4 Likes

I take it you’re not a Oneohtrix Point Never fan? I think he’s mostly moved on, but R Plus Seven has rompler sounds all over it.

4 Likes

The JD-08 is the first boutique that has caught my interest. If Roland makes a boutique version of the JP-8000/8080 (which I bet will be coming up eventually if not next) then that will also have my attention.

3 Likes

Roland JX-08 and JD-08 already in stock at my local store.

3 Likes

JD-08 has some interesting envelope features I wasn’t aware of. The below video shows some interesting stuff triggered by envelope release. Ability to change effects order is also cool.

JX-08 has an effects section that is not vintage accurate, to say the least. I’m ok with that - why not throw in bitcrusher and stuff like that? The selection of modernized effects can get it to overlap with the JD-06’s territory to some extent. Besides the JX-8P only had chorus for effects.

He finishes the video with a demo of both running sequencers at the same time, with some breakdown. Well, it is his job after all to sell you on both Boutiques. I thought it was a good effort.

1 Like

Love the inclusion of modern effects and would definitely appreciate a bit crusher and distortion. The fact that it can expand beyond the original/authentic sound should be seen as a massive bonus since it just makes it even more versatile. This is partially what makes me buy it.

If I didn’t already have the MC-101 for rompler tones, 4-part multitimbral operation, and its own VA, I’d be tempted by the JD-08 as well as the JX-08.

I agree about the JX-08 having more potential versatility, thanks to the modern effects section. JD-08/D-50 type sounds tend to impart the sonic footprint of a specific period of music - I think one would have to put in a lot of effort to disguise that footprint.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve considered the MC-101 for my needs of a bedside sketch pad and the JX-08 seems rather expensive when compared to what you get with an MC-101. But ultimately I’m more intrigued by the immediate, hands-on simplicity of just a great sounding synth engine. The MC-101 seems rather menu divy and I don’t really need to create complete tracks since I do that on my MPC One.

You can’t really edit synth presets on the MC-101 anyway - at least to any decent amount of depth. You have either get Zenology Pro or get an MC-707 to do that.

I’ve mulled investing in a 707 for the greater editing capability in the past. But with stuff like the JX-08 coming out, I’m feeling more content to just run factory presets on the MC-101, except for maybe some user samples. I’m not really a sample crazy person though, aside from Octatrack usage.

Good to know. I’m intrigued with sampling but I’m all about synthesis in my music. :blush: