Roland Jupiter X or Udo Super 6

to bring some confusion into this thread…
As far as I understand the jupiter x and xm have zencore and ABM for the VA synth engines.
ABM is analog behavior modelling, while ACB is component behavior. So on component basis, whatever that means exactly. In practice it should be more accurate , so more processor heavy, that’s why boutiques, System 1/8 have less polyphony.

ABM seems to allow more voices. I have no idea how close jupiter x comes to system 8 etc in terms of accuracy.
Close enough for me probably, I already love the zencore sound in the mc101

2 Likes

Difficult choice. Both are very interesting synths. I am very interested in UDO s6. Probably my choice is UDO. Freshness. I don’t know what the future holds for UDO and I find it very interesting to have such a gear in my collection.

Did you see Udo’s studio tour. People were zoning in on a synth he made years ago. Artisan? Cant remember. But everyone was asking if he could make one . Hmmmm.

Here it is. What next for Udo you ask.(15.15 or so)

Nick from Sonic state can be heard sayin “Wowwwww”. at 15.25. Just a thought.

1 Like

Thanks for that clarification, I heard the Roland rep say “Analog Behavior Modeling” and then list off many of the boutique synths and my brain just changed it to ACB.

ABM does sound good!

1 Like

amazing you could actually pick one up (without being gouged by a re-seller; they’re currently at $400 over retail on Reverb). congrats!

the UDO pricing is weird to me, especially given that it’s so vintage Roland oriented. a Juno 60 is similar money, and a Jupiter 6 is a bit more. you could probably grab a Juno 106 and an SH-101 for the same price (with some luck). $2800 for the S6 feels like about $500 too pricey. but then… they’re difficult to get a hold of and resellers are getting $400 over retail. so what do I know!?! :rofl:

1 Like

Prices are set to increase everywhere due to the component shortage crisis in China.

yeah resellers getting ahead of the game I guess…

1 Like

Super 6 has so much unique character, and sounds so good. It’s a synth you hold on to for ages, a future classic if you will. Not to take away from the power available with the Jupitor, just given the choice I’d personally roll with the Super 6, and use the Zencore VST if I wanted Roland sounds.

1 Like

What does George Hearn of UDO mean by ‘water hole next to my computer’ at ~8:30?
If it is what I think it is, that’s dedication. Respect.

Also didn’t realize that they supply Pittsburgh Modular with analog oscillators (~20:15). And the work on the Modal 008…

This is a lot about my opinion of the Jupiter X/Xm FYI before you read my long post.

Even as I plan to get a Super 6 and even though I have a Jupiter Xm I still have this dilemma. If it was just about the sound then yeah I could get away with the VST instead of an X or Xm. It isn’t though is it? It’s about how you connect with an instrument as well right?

I was just sitting here digging into my Jupiter Xm, specifically the Jupiter X internal engine (Zen Core) and it’s pretty stunning what you can do with the partials, parts, and scenes. It was a leaning over the keyboard with my eyes squeezed tightly shut, just feeling it kind of moment! It’s an absolutely powerful engine with massive massive potential for very wide intricate deep sounds. I was keeping the whole binaural aspect of UDO Super 6 in mind, which is what brought me here.

The learning curve is very steep on the Jupiter X/Xm.
I think once you get the idea of how everything works together you start to have some pretty big ideas on how you can make it sound very alive… and huge, massive, lush… yeah. Probably along the lines of the Super 6 and definitely more.

Udo Super 6 no doubt sounds awesome in some of the demos I hear. I’m sure there would be no mistake made in getting one. The binaural stuff really adds a lot of depth and character on top of the fact that it just sounds lush, characterful, and unique. I really wish I could try one in person, dilemma would most likely be solved.

Everyone is so concerned about the Jupiter 8, Juno, SH-101, JX, XV, etc, on the Jupiter X/Xm that the new engine is barely even touched on. All of those vintage models sound really good in and of themselves for sure. They are pretty damn close to what they’re based on from what I can tell (but I don’t own any of the big originals so It’s hard to say for sure).

I’d say the SH-101 isn’t exactly like the real thing. The PW doesn’t go to completely silent on the end like the real one. It also just doesn’t have such weird sweet spots all over like the real one. Not as much spit if you know what I mean? It still sounds awesome in and of itself. The filter shook the ear wax out of my ears sweeping through the bass on high resonance. It has my favorite filter out of the bunch for sure and it’s polyphonic capable. A polyphonic SH-101 actually sounds pretty sweet.

The rest sound really close IMO. But you can read or watch about this all over the internet. I think those are close enough if you’re looking for specific classic sounds (I’m not, but I’ll still use them).

Zen Core and the glorious build of the X is what makes it special.

Zen Core has 12, 18, & 24db filter slope models of the the Jupiter 8, Moog, and Sequential P5 models. So you get the nice filters, which I think are done great across the board. Also a set of multimode filters HP, LP, BP, PKG, etc…

The PWM and Xmod sounds better in the ZEN-Core engine than it does in the vintage models too.

You also have PCM sync and xmod as well which opens up a huge range of oscillator tones with all the romper PCM stuff modulating the VA engine.

There are switches to simplify the complex envelopes to just ADSR envelopes for easier editing if you don’t need the power.

You can program your own Step LFO’s, similar to Octatrack but with more options.

The structure is what allows it to be binaural and more:

There are 4 partials (basically self contained synths) per Tone.
This means the Jupiter X can be Quadnaural? in a single tone times 4 (4 tones per scene), so 16naural (whatever you call that) capable?

Once you learn some shortcuts it’s really easy too.

You can program a sound in the Jupiter X engine on a single partial. Then copy that partial to any of the other 4 partials.

Hold Shift+Write, press the source partial, and the destination partial, done.

From there you can have both (or 3 or 4) partials selected at the same time. Any edits you do on one will happen on the other.
At any time you can select a single partial and change a parameter. If you pan them, detune them or give them slightly different modulations you have a very Binaural sound.

When you’re done editing your 4 partials and making them slightly different you can go back to the Scene and now all of the front panel controls work like “offsets” for the individual partials.

A good shortcut for getting through the 200 parameters is Shift + Up or Down. This jumps to every section you can edit. So Oscillator settings, filter, Amp Env, Filter Env, etc… So then you only have to scroll in that small section to get what you want.

You can also hold Shift and turn a knob or slider and it will take you to that edit section.

Once you learn these things and have an overview of how everything works in your head it gets really quick to edit that massively powerful engine from scratch.

Udo Super 6 seems more straight forward, sounds good, and has a smaller learning curve to making good sounds.

Jupiter X has more possibilities and I think can sound probably as good, but it’s a bigger learning curve.

I’ll probably just get a Super 6 and see if I like it enough to make me not swap my Jupiter Xm for an X. There just aren’t enough keys on the Xm. Also I just feel like they cover a ton of the same ground and I don’t need 2 massive pad/string synths. There isn’t enough room in my studio or the audio spectrum.

I’ll report back if I end up with both of them…

10 Likes

I haven’t been interested in the new Jupiters, until I read this rant, I’m almost converted. No wonder you’re torn.
Reality check: Get the UDO. Trade the Xm later for an X. Otherwise you’ll be chasing your Jupiter tail until you can afford the UDO again. Probably save money that way too.
I relate in a way. I spend hours noodling with the Prophet.Rev2, but the next day I’ll sit in front of the Prophet~6 and actually play songs. Totally psyched I couldn’t be bothered noodling with the P~6. Blessing in disguise.

2 Likes

My money is on you’ll end up with both, probably saying to yourself “I’ll sell one after a couple months with them to see which one I like”.
And I’ll go double or nothing that at the end of a couple months, we’ll find you here saying “I’m keeping them both.” :wink:

2 Likes

Brother that is a hell of a write up. I don’t want a Jupiter xm, but now I want one. I’m just holding out for the white desktop model especially since I have a nice set of keys from the prophet 10 v4

1 Like

You’re right, and I appreciate the reality check. I keep putting off the Super 6 but It’s also an exact fit for the one hole I hadn’t filled before I got myself into this Jupiter deep dive.

Also the truth! :sweat_smile:

I didn’t even go into the ways modulations can be mapped or all of the offsets on modulators between partials can be done. Just browse through the Parameter Reference Manual if you’re curious.

The whole thing is so hard to understand from the outside. I think it took me a while to even understand what I wanted to do with the thing. Just looking at the website or documentation doesn’t really help you to see the bigger picture. Also, people get so caught up showing off the “famous” models that you never hear anything about how the Zen Core stuff can be used to make such intricate sounds. Let alone any of the workflow stuff that has made managing that massive engine easier.

It’s complicated and not very sexy next to the Jupiter 8. In reality it’s so much more powerful. People might catch on or they might not. I just hope they continue to improve the workflow and editing to make it even better.

Xm is usable for me to continue to explore the engine and workflow.
So UDO Super 6 is back on top of my list… for now :slight_smile:

I have to give it to Roland though. They are not afraid to push some big ideas and go their own way regardless of what others are doing or how different it might be. I can tell this was a massive undertaking whether or not it ends up being something that gels with people. I just wish they would scream loudly about these new things that they should be very proud of.

2 Likes

Fantastic review of the Jupiter X/Xm, I picked up a handy few shortcuts that I wasn’t aware of from reading your piece. I love the 4 part multi timbral function of the Jupiter’s, essentially 4 massive sound engines in one.

I am fortunate to own the Jupiter X and recently got the Super 6. They are both fantastic to play and look at! It’s a tough decision you have.

1 Like

I had an XV-5080 long ago, and I want that sound set and overall sound back. In your case, I might lean towards the Super 6 keyboard and try to hang on to the Xm as a knobby sound module, or drop all the way down to the MC-101.

1 Like

I’m very jealously aware of your Jupiter X and Super 6 combo :sweat_smile:

Thanks and I’m glad you were able to learn those shortcuts! When I figured those out it was like the entire Jupiter just opened up to me!

I’m not a preset user (nothing wrong with it but it doesn’t inspire me like building patches) so I was getting a little concerned that the engine was too complex to make stuff from scratch on the front panel. Now it’s a potentially endless source of ideas!

In case you didn’t know, I don’t think I mentioned how to select multiple partials for simultaneous editing. It’s as simple as being in part mode (scene button turned off). Then you just press any combination of of the 4 partials at the same time to edit them all at once.

It’s great for when you copy some partials but then decide you want to do more edits to all of them at once. Just go back and select them all and make your edits. Then select individual partials, pan them, detune them, change how they react to modulations, etc, and you have the whole Binaural or Quadnaural or whatever thing going on similar to the 6 :slight_smile: Back to scene mode and you have offset control of all 4 partials, awesome system IMO!

I really gel with the editing on the Xm/X so I’d probably at least stay with the Xm. Super 6 will at least visit at some point but I know it’s most likely to move in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Both of these have digital oscillators. From a price point of view why is the Udo so expensive compared to say the Hydrasyth deluxe? The Jupiter X looks fabulous and refined. I don’t get that visual impact with the Udo so i can understand the Jupiter X 's price more. Just wondering.

matter of taste, i love the super 6 looks

Super 6 has analog filters, and I think 12 of them. No doubt it’s also more expensive to make because it’s a tiny boutique outfit in the UK whereas the Hydrasynth is probably more efficiently manufactured and in China. Also I expect many more Hydrasynths will be sold, so maybe they can get away with smaller profit margins.