Roland Jupiter X or Udo Super 6

Hi all. Ive got the Udo Super 6 on order but for around the same price of 2.1k pounds i could get the Jupiter X. The dilemma being that they are both damn good from what ive heard. I dont know whether to cancel the order as its not too late. What does either bring to the party if your looking for a solitary synth to do most of your creative writing? Guess it maybe Apples and Oranges but which in the community here do people prefer if any?
Cheers.

2 Likes

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the Super 6 is the better synth. It sounds amazing in the demos online. However, it might not be that versatile from a sound design point of view.
I don’t think the Jupiter will sound as good but it is looking like a real Swiss army knife (assuming the “Roland” sound floats your boat).
I think it comes down to a choice between sound or versatility and which you want more.

5 Likes

Interesting you say the Super 6 is limited in sound design. I never considered that as from the init patch as demoed it like you can craft any sound you want. I thought it was the other way round and the Roland would be more limited for crafting a unique sound. Hmmm,

I don’t mean limited in the sense that it’s a one trick pony, I’m talking strictly in relation to the Jupiter, which has massive polyphony, multitimbrality and sounds from more than half a dozen synths on board.
I guess what I’m saying is, do you want a synthesizer or a workstation?

2 Likes

Ah gotcha. I am leaning more to a workstation.

1 Like

The jupiter x seems like a very deep, flexible, and all-round synth with great controls. The super-6 feels like an interesting and unique take on a fully stereo synth engine with a very immediate interface.

I’d say the super-6 makes more sense if you want to do sound design and play with their slightly unique way of doing things, the jupiter x makes more sense if you want access to most of synth history leaning towards the Roland side.

3 Likes

The Jupiter x isn’t really a synth per say. Its more like a flexible preset machine.

6 Likes

Please elaborate.

Between the two, I would go to Super 6. I like what I’ve heard from the demos, and the interface looks great, no screen and what not. Roland sounds are available in so many form factors. You could probably get close with one of their new grooveboxes, right? The Jupiter X can layer sounds which is cool. But you could pair the Super 6 with something like the MC101. That way you could probably layer synth sounds of the Super 6 with some Roland soonds, add in a track for drums, and a track for bass, and you’re off to the disco.

1 Like

maybe you should think of it more like apples (Udo) to a fruit salad (Jupiter X).

2 Likes

Fucking delicious apples though…

5 Likes

I will keep the UDO on order for now cheers guys. I’m thinking if i get the MC101 or 707 as mentioned i can layer the sounds if needed of the Super 6 . And use the drum samples included. Cheers.

5 Likes

707 Synth is easier to edit than the Jupiter X/(m)…

go watch a few reviews of the mc707. its the same engine. you have some flexibility of the envelopes and “oscillators” but its pretty limited. there are going to be sounds that you are going to be able to make on a SH101 or even a SH01a that won’t be possible on the jupiter x even though it has a sh101 emulation.

Oh man I’d go with the UDO hands-down, real circuits versus the Jupiter-X which is just a bunch of virtual synths in a controller. Tasty versus nasty!

2 Likes

I’m hella weak :joy:

It’s still unclear to me whether it’s the exact same engine, or if the engine is running on the same kind of architecture. I seems that Roland uses the term “ZEN-Core” to refer to the modeling approach used in these products in the same way they’ve been using “ACB” to refer to the (arguably more precise) modeling approach in their Boutique and Aria ranges.

It is clear that the classic synth models are more like “macros” on top of the primary VA engine in the Jupiter X that sounds and behave like the real thing, but that don’t attempt to het as close as the ACB modeled variants.

So, yeah, I agree with your elaboration in a sense, but I disagree that it’s a “preset machine”. The synth models you get are complete, deep, and fully editable. It’s a proper synth in any sense of the word.

1 Like

Good to hear one positive vote at least. I dont think the demos have been the best and when he hits the right notes it sounds out of this world for sure.

1 Like

I find it surprising they are similar in price. The UDO having state of the art Digital synthesis with the FPGA, analogue filters with binaural tech. I guess I’m biased I’m picking up my Super 6 on Tuesday :grinning:
Loving those heavy dark wavetables sounds you hear in the demos.

1 Like

I’m impressed by it. Saw in an Anderson’s video with a Roland rep that it has both ACB and Zencore models for most of the classic synths (Jupiter, Juno, SH), and as such polyphony is reduced on the ACB models.

Still, 32 voices for the ACB models. And it sounds damn good!

Add in the XV/RD piano sounds and I can see why it’s in a similar price range to Nord Wave 2 (or even a used Prophet X, would be hard to choose between the 3).

I wouldn’t worry about analog vs digital. ACB and U-He has shown us that digital models can sound equally as good.
As in all cases, listen to how they sound, and go with the one that you like most.

1 Like