Roland Boutique TR-08 (808)

Thanks fellas! I should be careful what I ask for :wink:

Now I get to geek out on routing cables :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I bang on about it all the time but you can pick up an Aira Torcido stereo distortion module pretty cheap if you look around and it has a flexible tube-y distortion character with a lot of tone control. I permanently have my drum machines going through it.

1 Like

How many Elektronauts does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

At least Three.

One to say the lightbulb is too bright and at least two more to advise on alternative means of illumination.

7 Likes

Light bulbs canā€™t hold a candle to candles.

4 Likes

Agreed, all of the Roland FX Eurorack modules are great, unless of course you happen to be one of those hip next level goons who has to diss everything that Roland makes because ā€œfuck Rolandā€ :laughing:

2 Likes

If light bulbs were synthsā€¦

Edison = modular
Incandescent = analog
CFL = Digital hardware
LED = Softsynth

:joy:

3 Likes

Most people justifiably diss Rolandā€™s latest sub standard product range.
The Aira fx boxes are sadly probably their best recent products imo.
Hopefully Roland will surprise us with something great soon

Can someone post a comparison of the new bulbs. The new bulbs look dim in the demo videos. LOL LOL LOL

The JD-XA is great. If it had an aluminum body, it would be thought of as one of their best ever synths. The build quality has tainted it a bit unfairly.

Into the SH-01A right now. Plus some rewiring of instruments late at night here in Seattle :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2017-0929-sh01a

7 Likes

Quality.

He is The Egyptian Lover!

I picked up one about a week ago. I was just curious does yours have a strong smell to it?

A bit like the crazier Drexciya stuff!

Not that Iā€™ve noticed. Curious,

Iā€™ll agree with invisible_acropolis. Even a small number of individual outs plus the stereo would have been satisfactory. There is so much latency over the USB that it is practically unusable with other devices in a session. Creating an aggregate device does not fix it. The USB audio is a massive let down on all these machines. A complete after thought. Sure you can use it multitrack the outputs but you still have to edit the massive latency from the start of your recordings before you can play it back with anything else. The MIDI sync is very sloppy on them too. The only reliable sync is via the Trigger sync. Which doesnā€™t reset when you press stop. They do sound good though

I donā€™t know if itā€™s the same on the TR-08 but on the TR-8, by default the timing emulates an original 808. Meaning, individual sounds donā€™t all trigger at exactly the same time - they trigger fractionally after each other, and you can see this when you take the midi out and record it into a DAW.

On the TR-8 there is a hidden setting to change this so that everything on the same step triggers at exactly the same time.

2 Likes

Nah not what I mean at all. The MIDI sync does not govern the triggering of individual instruments (drum sounds). That is controlled by the sequencer. The master clock of the sequencer is laggy when clocked from an external source. Hardly surprising. There really arenā€™t that many devices out there that are totally rock solid. And these are no different

The latency over the USB is found when you press play on the machine, the time it takes the audio to appear at the USB outputs has a very large latency. Regardless of whether you are syncing the device internally or externally

What you are referring to is part of the whole ACB thing.

I understand the difference, I was just wondering if you were hearing a delay in triggering the sounds as sync lag. Iā€™ve not tried USB audio into a computer, I always record the outputs.

I donā€™t think the hit timing on the TR-8 has anything to do with the ACB modelling, really, itā€™s a timing option that can be turned on and off.

Interesting, I use mine with midi and audio over USB and have no latency or sync problems at all, but Iā€™m using them with the MX-1 and not a computer - could the problem be with the computer?