Roland AIRA Compact Series: T-8 beat, J-6 chord & E-4 voice

roland j-6 looks like a fun little device to pair with a po 33
and sending midi chords out to other synths might be very useful

The early boutiques did not have CC at launch and they added it after user requests, so maybe they will do so here.

I think the T-8 might be essential for an acid head like me, portable and cheap enough to use as a sketchpad anywhere, then I can translate the patterns to proper gear when home.

The E-4 might be coming here too, nice for vocal stuff, in the past I used some other Roland VT technology and was always really happy with the results.

Not sure on the J-6, I have that sound covered better and donā€™t think I need it portable, but I might end up getting one.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the lineup, really hope they do a little mixer and trigger sequencer/sync box.

Personally I think people who donā€™t like ACB just donā€™t like that Roland have not done analog versions, ACB sounds very good I think, not perfect but in a lot of cases probably actually closer than they could get making analog reissues. My reasons for thinking this is that none of the analog clones from other companies sound the same as the originals, the exception being DinSync but those are replicas using the same parts.

5 Likes

Rachel doing her thing.

6 Likes

Oh crap. Iā€™m set to preorder the T-8 and J-6, but wasnā€™t interested at all in the E-4 ā€” but if thereā€™s going to be a whole collectionā€¦

3 Likes

According to Sonic State video, yes

1 Like

Yeah T-8 just for doing little portable acid grooves would probably be good fun. J-6 from what Iā€™ve heard is mostly sort of generic EDM sounds and with the low level of editability doesnā€™t really seem up my alley but as a weird little chord controller it does seem kind of neat.

1 Like

What no built-in speaker!

1 Like

Sorry, I canā€™t hear it any more!
Allways the same pack of paid Youtubers trying to sell us every new gear as best in history.

Of course they will never find / report any flaws but we will have to suffer from these not mentioned flaws.
Of course the manufacturers wonā€™t tell them what to tell us but they wonā€™t send that equipment back to the manufacturers because it is that stuff they can sell later and the monetisation resulting from their commercials is their income.

I tend not to trust YT any more.

Sorry for ranting but during Superbooth we will hear that fairy telling a lot.

EDIT: Though that Chord machine seems to be nice if there are no issues with MIDI clock and Program Change.

1 Like

Can I has T-8 without 303 for cheap pls? :point_right::point_left: :joy:

Edit: and how long til we get bored of hearing the same stock patterns of the J-6? Itā€™s like I initially liked the M:C but now loathe its sound wherever I hear it because of oversaturation. If anything, that one reminds me of the Propellerhead Figure app.

3 Likes

I was eyeing the TC for a while, but Iā€™m pulling the trigger on the E4. Nicer form factor, slightly less expensive, and I can finally add some vocals to my live rig without pining over what preamp to buy. Which has seriously been preventing me from adding a vocal element to my live rig.

These look perfect for my toddlers in a year or two :wink:

2 Likes

J-6 is interesting as a simple kordbot ā€¦ it sends midi out

4 Likes

I had that thought too, scratch pad for chord progressions

2 Likes

Will these sync with Volcaā€™s and does the class compliant work with iPad, would be great having the t-8 with the iPad as portable battery powered set up

ā€¦wellā€¦depends on what u want hereā€¦i can defenitly tell u, that the tc helicon stuff is way more pro and efficient than this nice new roland toyā€¦itā€™s a damned cool one trick pony to fool around in realtime for sureā€¦while all that voice tone2 stuff from tc are serious live tools, way beyond pitch and robot scattering with one fixed reverb algoā€¦

1 Like

If thereā€™s one thing Iā€™m tired of itā€™s everyone always going on about how flawless Roland isā€¦?

1 Like

Youā€™re likely right here, but Iā€™m more of the mind to keep it simple with the Roland and add some extras through the OT. Iā€™ll find out once it arrives I suppose. My NGNY is definitely over though. (started with the ST) :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

they seem to be class compliant usb audioā€¦ so presumably not compatible with that old usb mixer they made years agoā€¦ mx1 ?
but at least theyre likely to be compatible in the future, more than older boutiques that need driversā€¦ not sure how long theyā€™ll continue.

i wont be buying anyā€¦ iā€™d certainly hold off until midi ccā€™s are added and editors can tweak the sounds a littleā€¦ hopefully without the need for ā€˜roland cloudā€™ .

1 Like

The guy from Roland says in the Sonicstate video they are indeed compatible with the MX1.

3 Likes

ah okā€¦ didnt realise it was class compliant (unless its got special usb audio code to be compatible)

and iā€™d still wait to see it actually workā€¦ it is a sales/marketing video ā€¦not a review .
i remember when they claimed the tb-3 was ā€˜an accurate circuit level recreation of the tb303ā€™

IT WASNT.

1 Like