Rode AI-Micro and/or other tiny audio interfaces

Reviving this thread to ask if there’s anything out there that’s like the AI-Micro, but with more input channels. I recently sold my TX-6, it’s far more mixer than I need, and I realized that I could obviate the need for a mixer at all with more interface inputs and AUM. (This is for a portable recording rig that includes an iPad and some small instruments with 1/8" stereo outputs.)

If nothing fits the bill, I’ll probably pick up a used Bluebox or even one of those very cheap Moukey mixers. I only really “need” two channels in, to process a hardware synth with Fluss, but then I’d need a mixer for the other stuff. I briefly wondered if Bluebox could do both, what with the new USB functionality, but it seems not?

Another good option for this use case is the TC Helicon Blender.

Slightly weird design but it gives you a 12in 2out audio interface, or a standalone 6 stereo in 4 stereo/headphone out mixer. Takes batteries or wall power (not sure about bus power).

As a mixer, as long as you don’t mind the controls you use headphone 1 as the main output, and the others as post-fader sends.

It’s also all on mini-jacks, and the design is for several people to sit around it jamming, but it’s a bit cable spaghetti on your own.

1 Like

I did take a look at this and there are two seemingly contradictory features: “Outputs a high-resolution stereo signal to your mobile device or laptop via USB” seems to suggest it’s a 2-in interface. But then “Allows you to pipe each individual input straight into your DAW for mixing and post production” sounds like a 12-in interface. Is it in fact the latter?

Micro USB, good grief

EDIT: nvm you’re right, it is 12 in! Might try it if a used one pops up

Does the AI-Micro allow you to record iPhone videos with stereo line-in audio? I have a Zoom U22 which does, but I’m looking for a smaller option. (iphone camera app is a little quirky so you need to start video mode, THEN plug the usb device in or it doesn’t work)

I can’t remember. I think I got it working but it may have been a bit fiddly in when things were plugged in etc.

Sorry I can’t test again as we’re in the middle of moving and it’s packed in a box somewhere.