Rocketgoldstar

Hello Elektronauties, I have been in this band Rocketgoldstar since essentially 1993! Well we changed the name to Rocketgoldstar back in 1995 and became a reasonably well known band in Wales for many years. The keyboard/guitar player Frank Naughton was the original partner of Mike Paradinas in µ-Ziq and was on the first two albums. We were a band that didn’t really fit in to times as I was trying to fuse a 70’s prog rock aesthetic into Frank’s more esoteric and unclassifiable experimental leanings whilst still trying to make a form of pop music. There were various other musicians involved including Giulian Palladino, brother of Pino but when Sion Orgon joined on drums in 1999 that trio became the classic lineup which is still together to this day. We signed a deal with FFVinyl in 2000 and put out a bunch of releases but although we came close, we didn’t get a hit. We did however tour and support some big names of the day and were considered an influential band for a time. We embraced music technology in innovative ways and were the first band ever to play a silent gig (all audience members wearing headphones) back in 2000, years before the Silent Disco trend. It’s a bit of a shame that social media and Youtube didn’t exist when we were at our peak as very little online evidence remains of our crazy shenanigans!

Although we are not particularly active these days, we have a few festivals this month hence me dusting down an unreleased tune from about 6 years ago and making a new video for it. The song is called Fabulous Logic. I hope you enjoy it! We are considering reissuing all our back catalogue and finally releasing a bunch of stuff that has yet to have seen the light of day!

Cheers,

Gaz

10 Likes

It’s like some glorious hybrid of 70’s Sparks, National Health, and, and Pere Ubu. I simply must have more of this in my life.

1 Like

What an awesome comment, thank you!

1 Like

I’d have thrown in Gentle Giant, but that would have been gushing… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(ha! Just saw the cover of Soft Eject… beautiful - looks right out of the Canterbury scene or like some long-lost Nonesuch compilation. Love it.)

That’s catchy as fuck.

I dig it.

I also have a new video to watch next time I do mushrooms.

1 Like

I get something between They Might Be Giants and Jethro Tull (sans flute)… I could have guessed that Gaz had vocal chops but this was over-the-top good.

1 Like

Dig this one too… Trans Am vibes.

1 Like

Yeah! Soft Eject would have been an insta-buy for the cover alone, but the music is nothing short of superb…

1 Like