RNBO By Cycling74- Export Max patches to hardware and VST

Very interesting…and add on to MAX ($299 or subscription) that lets you export MAX patches outside of MAX! It’s in the latest version of MAX (8.5) and runs in demo with no save so you can try the export- just open a MAX patcher window, open a command box and type RNBO~ and a new MAX window opens that is pretty much the samne as a normal patcher (including GEN) but has a few extra commands (for making external controls) and an export sidebar!!!

Raspberry Pi export
VST3 (PC/Linux/MAc) or AudioUnit Plugin
Embed your RNBO sound engine into a website using Web Export
Generate easy-to-integrate C++ source code
Increase performance and loading times of your Max for Live devices (make like native Live instruments)

19 Likes

I have had a go tonight - it’s sort of a new Max within Max…but it works - exported a synth patch as a VST and loaded it in Bitwig, everything just works! GUI is basic (sliders for exposed parameters) but it’s a great start…lots of great DSP stuff that can be included via GEN as well, so a lot of cross platform and hardware possibilities.

You have to own MAX to use it so I would expect it to be cheaper…but the demo fully works (exports) you just can’t save…

3 Likes

Does this theoretically mean Fors devices in Maschine, for example?

:face_with_monocle: @Ess

10 Likes

That was my first thought! Anyone care to chip in $300 for the RNBO connection so he can get started?

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

Sounds very cool.

So effectively any audio Max patch can become a VST3 to use in any DAW?

Will it become part of the full version of Max?

Just seen this as well

2 Likes

Curioser and curioser!

1 Like

No one here can predict the future but let’s spend a brief moment to think this through. If it was going to be included in the full version of Max, then why would Cycling ‘74 price it out separately as a premium product?

1 Like

This is really interesting, in part because it hearkens back to the original inspiration for Max as a dataflow programming language. Some of the original philosophy was to connect these boxes (which would represent modules written in C and compiled) in the UI to then generate/output a program without having to write a line of code. Glad to see that philosophy lives on now, with delivery to many different platforms and paradigms!

4 Likes

So if this would run on a Compute Module, and allow a custom controller interface, this could be an easier access point for wild hardware prototypes — or even finished systems.

3 Likes

With this, couldn’t one just stockpile Max Devices, rent RNBO for a month, and then export to proper code for external use as opposed to buying it outright?

One could make the same argument with Max itself. Couldn’t it just be rented for a month? The thing is, it may take more than a few months to learn these tools. RNBO is not just a quick-o change-o conversion tool. It’s a new patching envirornment. If you already know Max then you’ll have a huge head start, but if you’re not already productive with Max at a certain point it might make more sense to purchase a permanent license outright.

2 Likes

I’m quite excited by the possibilities of this.

Previously I’ve been switched off by Max due to needing a computer with Max to run anything you create.

I had a colleague who was an absolute beast at Max/MSP/Jitter, had been using it professionally for years, so I got to spend a day on it and it was fun but the above point always put me off.

I’m now back to studying and a class I am taking is on music interfaces. We were set to learn Pure Data but switched to Max which I was a bit disappointed at. But now this RNBO has come out I am super pumped! To think we could make little synths and put them onto a raspberry pi is very cool. I hope that isn’t too difficult.

2 Likes

Max can export standalones which run on computers without Max ‘installed’

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know that. How is that different to RNBO?

I guess it’s significantly less efficient and far less portable. A standalone is essentially the Max patch plus the minimum of Max needed to run it. All contained in a bundled package.

So a tiny Max midi patch which is a few k will bundle to e.g. 100Mb, but it will run perfectly on the same platform on which it was created i.e. Mac > other Mac (no need for ilok).

2 Likes

OK so not necessarily viable for product development but with RNBO you could design an fx patch, install it on a raspberry pi, and then sell them.

2 Likes

No, this does not export Max code, this exports RNBO code from inside of Max. You cannot export existing Max devices, the devices must be rebuilt.

2 Likes

Rats