RME Fireface UFX+ or UAD Apollo x8 or?

With RME from a reputable store, I really can’t see there being any non-obviois problem. You would know if any of the hardware didn’t work. But ofc it’s smart to check all things.

1 Like

I hear (and appreciate) you.

I’m usually one to spend a little more for soundness of mind in buying new, but my mBox 3 pro’s been put through the ringer over the last decade and still functions as it did when purchased.

Given RME’s reputation (and the fact that Floating Points gigs with this particular unit), I figure there’s little harm in buying a lightly used model for ~$450 less.

I understand that this is an old thread. But I know other folks might be curious about this comparison still. I was and that’s how I found this thread.
I have owned the UFX+ for 4 years. It has simply been outstanding. I did compare spec sheets between the UFX+ and Apollo6 and Apollo8 and really I need to emphasize that specs don’t tell you much at this level of equipment. I had the MOTU Ultralite Mk5 at one point. The converter specs on that are much better than the UFX+. But I think that most people fail to understand that the converter specs only tell part of the story. The circuitry built around the chips is at least as important as the chip capability. RME goes to extensive lengths to ensure that their entire circuit is pristine. That includes higher quality capacitors, resistors, etc… and eliminating potential noise within the circuits that may effect other parts of the signal chain. I believe that is always the most overlooked part of the quality of the interface. The UFX+ is lights out a far superior interface than the MOTU. The mic pre’s are extremely clear and the headroom is outstanding. I don’t have the Apollo to compare against, but I would imagine the Apollo sounds as good. I don’t see how you can go wrong with the UFX+ if you are using the Windows/AMD system and need USB3. Thunderbolt and UFX hasn’t been on my radar yet, but I see that AMD has aquired rights to use it now as Intel has given up their stranglehold on the Thunderbolt interface and it will soon be combined with USB to create a “USB4” standard that will actually be USB20 and USB40.
Anyway, I digress. RME has for now discontinued the UFX+ due to lack of some sort of IC from Intel, and has not announced a replacement yet. IF you can get your hands on a lightly used UFX+, you should. RME pretty much never discontinues driver support for their products, and for a flagship product like this, they probably will support it eternally.

2 Likes

The RME UFX 3 is supposed to be announced sometime this month. It will have 188 channels, USB 3.0, and a price of $3199 USD.

1 Like

Where is your info grounded?

I was told this by my Sweetwater rep over a month ago. He said they had already received training on it. It actually leaked out on a dealers website a couple days ago before being 404’d.

Did he reveal anything else (eg number of line inputs/outputs)? Or is it the same as the UFX+ just with updated specs?

it’s on the rme website now! looks good to me

https://rme-audio.com/fireface-ufx-3.html

3 Likes

Can we have a mini competition to identify the other interesting units it is shown racked with on RME’s page?

In the second rack photo I see a Crane Song HEDD.

I have two Apollo x8s maxed out on ADAT (which unfortunately is only 8 in/outs via ADAT per Apollo unit) and since I have primarily an OTB studio setup that has grown substantially I ATM sort of regret not going with the UFX+ (or in my 2023 fantasy the UFX iii).

Reasons being, easier expandability without the need to buy more UFXs (16 I/Os via ADAT, 64 I/Os via MADI), Durec recording via usb stick/ssd without a computer, and mix controls from the hardware unit (UAD can‘t address eg aux sends or cue sends without a computer). Then there‘s also the added benefit that the RME UFX is class-compliant, so it could be eg hooked up to an iPad AND there‘s an iPad app for TotalMix to control the internal routing of the RME.

It‘s really the additional control over the unit’s routing & settings WITHOUT a computer that I‘m missing the most in my Apollos, closely followed by the fact that if I want to expand I/Os I need to get more Apollo units (max 16 analog I/Os per Apollo unit) to a max of 4 units.

That all said, the Apollo x8 sounds very good, unison preamps are excellent, latency is good across the board, and the plugins would be missed (especially tracking with them without latency no matter the channel count).

I guess the grass is always greener on that other side lol.