RIP Steve Albini

RIP to a true legend.

His egalitarian ethos towards engineering/producing birthed so many iconic albums. Blasting some Big Black now in memorium.

:black_heart:

68 Likes

He made some great music and produced a lot of awesome albums. Rest easy.

3 Likes

Besides his considerable contributions to music, I was struck by how he evolved from basically an asshole into a thoughtful and considerate human being who did a lot to help others and combat injustice.

38 Likes

Absolute legend. RIP.

7 Likes

This really sucks. :frowning: He was great.

2 Likes

Agreed—his evolution from misanthropy into advocacy was very inspiring to witness.

12 Likes

RIP, Producer of my Favorite Album ever: In Utero.

10 Likes

wow. what a loss.

1 Like

rest in peace. one of the greatest

1 Like

Wow just 61. RIP

2 Likes

Absolute legend. rip

1 Like

I feel so blessed I was able to see Shellac live at the Bottom Lounge in Chicago. The friend I went with fainted during the show and the band let her sit onstage for the performance so she wouldn’t be thrown out.

The new Shellac album drops next week. It will be played at maximum volume in tribute to the great Albini.

7 Likes

Love Surfer Rosa and In Utero. Not sure if a lot of people are aware of his work with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Those 2 artists had some pretty dated production on some of their solo albums. Steve’s recordings of them was raw and gloriously dynamic.

7 Likes

Very sad news…Love Pixies Surfer Rosa of course as well as all those great Jesus Lizard records. The unreleased record he did with Cheap Trick is so good

4 Likes

Damn…too young to go.

I always remember Albini for his unconventional use of the TR-606 in Big Black.

5 Likes

RIP

17 Likes

What’s the story behind that billboard?

1 Like

fuck. that sucks. 61 is pretty damn young to go from a heart attack. dude made and engineered/produced some incredible music. rest in peace.

in his honor I’ll share a Shellac story: they played Cleveland around 2005-6 and I went. ran into a friend there who was running sound. he relayed to me that he had offered for them to stay at his place, inquired where they were staying, etc… Albini said “oh no, we’re staying here.” him: “like… at the venue?” Albini: “yeah. there’s a huge floor. we’ll just sleep here.”

7 Likes

Sad to hear. He produced one of my all time favorite albums, Magnolia Electric Co by Songs: Ohia (Jason Molina). It’s a beautiful, poignant record

14 Likes

Didn’t even know he had heart problems. The music world just lost a giant.
RIP

1 Like