RHCPeppers Guitarist John Frusciante Uses Two Elektron Boxes to make latest albums

Not sure if this was already posted, please delete if it was but a search turned up nothing.

Says he used a monomachine and analog four to make his two latest albums, recorded directly to CD in one take

“I needed to clear my head,” he explains. “I listened to and made music where things generally happen gradually rather than suddenly. I would set up patches on a [Elektron] Monomachine or Analog Four and listen to them, hearing one sound morph into others, making changes to a patch only after having listened for quite a while, gradually adding elements, and finally manipulating the sounds on the fly. All tracks were recorded live to CD burner, with no overdubs, and executed on one or two machines.”

Article:

25 Likes

wonder if he’s a mk1 or mk2 analog four guy

4 Likes

Sounds intriguing.

He put a Machinedrum to good use on To Record Only Water For Ten Days.

4 Likes

Would really love to see @Elektron reach out to Frusciante for a ‘talk’. Haven’t seen one of those in a while but would love to see them interview him since there’s such a focus on the Elektron boxes. He was actually one of the first ways I heard about Elektron in an ad way back, for the Monomachine. Easily one of my favourite artists and love the ethic he applies to electronics, even while straddling being in such a massive band.

9 Likes

this is great, the first two parts are too but he talks abit more about his love of electronic music in this part.

there’s a point where he mentions he collects 92-96 jungle records, i wish Rick had pushed him a bit more here to find out more :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hopefully this bullshit will bring Monomachine prices down again.

3 Likes

and MachineDrum prices back to earth as well. Would love these to pair up with my Elektrons but no way am I paying the current inflated prices on vintage gear.

Wait you are being sarcastic right? I thought big artists using the boxes drove prices sky high

1 Like

what’s the bullshit, have you heard it!?

2 Likes

I get the attitude about this but i have to say it is not like some celebrity suddenly deciding to become a painter to boost their credentials and make a lot of money. He genuinely loves electronic music and isn’t bad at it, not at all

Billy Corgan on the modular just seemed pretentious and overwrought by comparison, just to contrast two 90s alt rockers going into electronics

3 Likes

I’m as much of a not-fan of the bang a bong ding a dong long a bong patter as the next human, but Frusciante is a great musician, has always been a fan of synthesizers and a wide palette of sound.

3 Likes

:100:

The ‘Talk’ series was awesome. And I bet it sells more Elektrons than sound packs. Bring. It. Back!

6 Likes

Most of my dislike of RHCP rests on the singer and bassist, they’re both a massive pair of knobs with not much more than “stage presence” to work with.

Fruaciante probably agrees, given how often he fucks off.

I can’t say I’m that familiar with his musical output. There’s that record he did with Venetian Snares and Chris McDonald that was cool, but I’ve not been exposed to much of his stuff beyond that. Seems pretty well regarded though, unlike his bandmates, who must be a constant embarrassment to him.

4 Likes

Tsk tsk, Flea is a great bassist, singer can’t sing tho

9 Likes

Agreed. Total badass on bass.

4 Likes

Man’s not fit to polish Trevor Dunn’s shoes.

I’d hate to play in a band with that showboating Jeb in the rhythm section.

Anyway, I’m off to avail myself of Frusciante’s stuff.

2 Likes

I love Flea for his bass work on De-Loused in the Comatorium, as well as his trumpet contributions on Frances the Mute. I also love Frusciante’s contributions to TMV’s music, as well as the wonderful little EP he put out with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez:

It’s great that Frusciante makes electronic music, though I haven’t spent much time listening to it. He’s one of my all-time favourite guitarists, even though I don’t like anything by RHCP beyond BSSM, and even then I don’t listen to that record anymore.

6 Likes

Flea is an absolute beast of a bassist and musician in general.

4 Likes

The bloke playing the skins is mad. What’s his name…will Ferrell stunt double playing rim shots like machine gun fire in the mekong delta. The frontman copped Mike Pattons act beat boxing like a hamster on crystal meth. Flea is a top notch actor as I seen him in Point Break with that kung fu crawdaddy from Roadhouse. And Johnny boy the axeman can skin em with the best although he was sharper than an axe on Charlie. Seems he’s off the sauce and benzos now.

When I read this, in my head, you sound like Bill Cosby

6 Likes