Reverb.com - are sellers trying to game prices?

U can buy some great gear for not so much money. Like nord lead, little phaty, a4 mki , rytm, octatrack… manny other things, mixers, lexicon effects, i don’t know, alesis, speakers, computers.

2 Likes

should be the the thread title, really.

5 Likes

Hah! I’m not immune to frustrations as a buyer or seller really, but I realize that if I lose my chill with more than one rude buyer/seller at a time and start wrapping them up in some greater narrative, it’s because I’m starting to approach the market(s) from a shaky position to begin with.

If I feel I need to have more money faster and I’m otherwise stable monetarily, perhaps I’ve been flipping items too quickly, purchased too much without spacing the items out, didn’t wait to buy it used to begin with, any way I look at it the neurosis trends from my own decisions.

1 Like

Sure, there’s Craigslist and FB marketplace and OfferUp.
But, I have NEVER seen anything cool on there like a Digitakt or Analog Heat or Moog Subharmonicon.
For damn sure, there is no “community” of synth enthusiasts cutting people deals.

That’s what I meant. Not that we don’t have local marketplaces.

Try using SearchTempest. It lets you search multiple craigslist territories as if they were one.
I’ve made offers to folks 800 miles away and convinced them to ship.

I see MDs and DTs all the time.
Here’s just a few current listings for Elektron gear:

columbia, MO

austin

fayer

fayetteville

state college, PA

there are LOADS more.

subharmonicon in NY

subharmonicon in philly

4 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t be so bold as to say it doesn’t exist, but honestly for me, I would have to meet the person in the Whole Food’s parking lot to at least look at the piece before I bought off Craigslist, so the non-local thing wouldn’t work for me.

I was kind of just saying as a rule of thumb, considering the amount of Analog Heats on Reverb, there doesn’t seem to be any motivation to move them.

1 Like

Lost money on every bit of elektron gear ever I bought and sold. If it’s a game, I’m not very good at it.

On the other hand, got my BS2 brand new for pretty cheap. Gonna hang on to that bad boy til it hits ridiculous vintage prices. Retirement planning 101.

1 Like

Reverb cut out PayPal. They make you link a bank account or credit card to do anything anymore. That and making us pay tax on used items is what made me walk away.

2 Likes

That’s some advanced-level Craigslisting! I’ve pretty much moved to FB Marketplace (less sketchy) but there’s a lot of people who still sell gear only on CL.

On FB Marketplace my strategy is to search around my state (FL) from different demographic centers (Daytona/Orlando/Tampa/Miami) at a 100mi radius, have scored many deals that way. A lot of people who don’t ship are willing to drive halfway to you to get something sold.

2 Likes

Hehe.

Another tip: don’t always search inside the section you’d think it would be listed in!
I got a full EV PA system for pennies on the dollar when a guy had kept dropping the price for months, due to it not selling. He had it listed with home appliances.

Was worth the 3 hour drive.

2 Likes

I also do this on a Belgian site,
but then I see lots of advertisements for Waldorf urinals!
Which are very expensive … and produce unusable sound.

:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

On 2dehands there is an item called “analoge sleutels”
:grin:
Its the Elektron Analog Keys

2 Likes

The same website !

1 Like

I just got an Analog Heat from Guitar Center for $500.

Used, but like new condition. Still has the plastic on the screen.
Only took two days to ship.

I hope the guys selling their used AH on Reverb for $700 see this and go pound sand.

Some maniac is selling an Octatrack MKI on eBay for $10,000.

$10k
Wow.

Of course, it has been modded with a Spdif out. That’s definitely probably worth $9200.

Hopefully it’s a joke posting.

It’s a classic joke round these parts:

3 Likes

Those days came and went. I had a lot of no1 comics. Teen Titans for example was $300, now it’s $40.

No one cares anymore.

2 Likes

Oh, so the guy is taking the piss?

What a relief.

The consensus is that the mod is real, but the price (while real enough if some idiot wants to pay it) is obviously taking the piss

Most expensive mod ever.