Reverb.com - are sellers trying to game prices?

conspiracy hat on :laughing:

If we take a look at the most recent sale prices for a Machinedrum MKII UW+ they seem to be a bit all over the place. Is there any verification of “real” transactions besides reverbs 5% fee? To prevent sellers buying from themselves to push up the perceived market value? Even with the fee it could be worth it in the long run :man_shrugging:

I think strong price variations for items that are relatively rare and do not have an objective current sales price as a reference are not so surprising. There can easily occur outliers for examples with sellers that want to sell quickly and/or do not care about maximizing gains, or with buyers who absolutely want a specific piece of gear and happen to have a high willingness to pay…

6 Likes

a few months ago i sold my MDuw for 1950 euros + shipping, fast and without any problems

2 Likes

Reverb and the internet in general have forever ruined the affordable gear market.

9 Likes

Kind of off topic but I think the prices asked on eBay and Reverb for used is often absurd. Every single listing embellishes how little the item as been used and how perfect it is. They want nearly full price. One is lucky to save a total of $50 over buying new most of the time it seems. Or I’m just not looking often enough : )

5 Likes

Miracles still happen, but with gear it’s happening less and less…maybe something like this with a CS-80 one day? :slight_smile:

Connecticut yard sale bowl turns out to be 15th-century Chinese artifact | Connecticut | The Guardian

2 Likes

What’s kr.?

Kronor/kroner, the currency in Sweden, Norway and Denmark (albeit they all have their own).

2 Likes

Korona, it’s the new world currency

4 Likes

I’m not sure about pricing, but I just picked up a Octatrack and A4 for about 1450 total with a dual stand and 2 CV cables for the A4.

I’m seeing octatracks selling for 800 to 900 and A4s selling for 700-900. People are finding that the older Elektron gear is a bit more reliable and nicer built then the newer ones at least from what I am seeing.

ah interesting! thanks :slight_smile:

Yeah - I tend to find better prices on local Facebook groups / Classified websites - but also certain gear comes up a little less often.

1 Like

i only buy discontinued stuff on reverb.com. used gear that’s still in production is usually just too expensive. better to add a bit more and to buy it new on Thomann that offers 3 yrs of warranty and 30-days return policy

3 Likes

And sellers on other local 2nd hand sites pick up these silly prices (even uploading screenshots of reverb.com listings) and it becomes a perverse vicious circle :o:
Especially older Roland gear is ridiculously high priced. Even MC303’s.
It’s all very frustrating and get’s me super mad.
I see old silly Concertmate toy keyboards going for +150€ :man_facepalming:t2:
The only way to get it for a fair price is when you can buy it from a musician/older lad-lady who doesnt look up prices. But then you gotta be super quick as these hunter-wolves-A-holes will buy them them even quicker and relist it for triple the initial price, if not more

4 Likes

With a piece of gear from a small manufacturer I don’t have a problem with a little higher used price if they are a harder to come by new or used. Or for whatever reason the piece of gear doesn’t come up used often, that’s cool. But I’m not going to pay $750 for a used Analog Heat MKII no matter how “minty” it is lol.

Frankly, I’ve also done better as a seller and buyer using local groups rather than national or international platforms.

1 Like

I’ve never paid the asking price for something on reverb.com I wait for things I want at a reasonable price point and always offer what I want to pay(or less :grin:) I’ve found most often I get a bit off the listed price without too much back and forth. If they don’t want to bargain the offer button is usually not there to use.

Another trick with reverb is that sellers are sometimes small stores using it as a gateway. Some of those same shops sell that exact same piece directly for less because they no longer have to pay the associated fees.

6 Likes

Not true with the baseball cards that were supposed to make me rich. :sob:

3 Likes

This has been my experience as well, both as a seller and buyer off Reverb.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting an Analog Heat for a while, and I can’t justify full price. I’d buy a used one, but used prices have been going up, inexplicably, even though they’re still in production.

Also, the used MKI is barely less than a used MKII.

That’s dumb. I’ll do without. All those guys can sit on their Analog Heats until they want to get real.

2 Likes

Whoa - prices for second hand Heats were so low (especially for mk1) for a long time. I was surprised to see the price has crept back up to a respectable range (for the most part). Strange times we live in now.

1 Like