RetroKits RK-006. Midi Hub, USB Host, Interface, Gate Hub

Exactly. However, the way RetroKits has the editor setup, you don’t have “per port” filters. You have a filtering section where you can create five different filters with various options, and apply them to ports. I like this, because it’s easy to create one clock filter, for example, and send it to several ports, rather than configure several ports.

1 Like

Ah I see. And I don’t even have a midi interface yet, so this would also tick that box. Looks like a nice piece of kit

1 Like

I didn’t have a USB host, or a merge! Just had a splitter. It’s absurdly low/well priced for what it does, and I love the size.

1 Like

Haha …

Well, I guess I can find another use for the RK-002 :slight_smile:

Don’t let the stock listing on the website scare you off. I ordered when it said ‘backordered’ and it shipped 3 days later…and now it is 90 miles away and getting closer! (along with an 002…midi mayhem coming soon)

If you are unsure, ask… Garrit has been amazingly accommodating and quick to respond. I can’t say enough about his great service so far.

4 Likes

Yes, their service is amazing. My package came very quickly (within days from the Netherlands to the States), and it was damaged by FedEx (most contents missing). They got me a replacement in my hands within less than a week. The RK-006 is amazing.

3 Likes

I just discovered this device, read the manual and webpage in their entireties, but am still just not quite sure if this device can do a few things and have a couple questions:

First, and I’m not hopeful, but I’m attempting to find an alternate/cheaper solution to an ER-M Multiclock in the sense that multiple 5pin and USB midi devices can be reasonably synced to something like logic. I believe this to not be that kind of solution. Can anyone vouch for how tightly this can sync hardware to Logic or Ableton, assuming a fast Mac and quality low latency/solid audio interface?

Alternatively, even without perfect DAW sync, simply being able to sync hardware together perfectly by splitting clock to all devices without the latency introduced by chaining OR even the initial latency between the master clock device and slaves through a splitter - by having all playback devices on the receiving side of the 006 and using either internal 006 clock out (Is tempo precisely assignable via preset rather than tap? With my samplers I want the clock BPM to be exact; anybody know if inputting an exact tempo to make the 006 the master clock is possible, either via preset or some sort of midi input trickery?) or inputting clock from another less important device for the master sync. I came up with this because a current issue I’m having is the DT slaved to the OT introduces just enough latency (with shorter brand new 3’ midi cable) that layering kicks makes a slight flam sound. My thinking is having all devices on the receiving end of a Midi splitter would solve this as they’d all theoretically receive the same clock at the same time assuming the same cable lengths. There are other splitters, but this seems to have lots of other useful functionality, and the plentiful outputs works well for my all gear on the receiving side theory since you lose a master device and gain a slave.

Also, can each port’s clock be nudged to align devices that differ in reacting to incoming sync? I could not find this info but seems like it would be fairly simple and very useful…

Sorry for the wall of text, but thank you for your help.

I just got one of these and it’s amazing. I set it up as a test today and ended up getting the OP-1 via USB, 606 via SYNC24, and TB03+SH01A via MIDI synced to/controlled by the Pyramid, without any issues at all. I did have to make a custom DINSYNC -> 3.5mm cable because I forgot to order one from them but even that ended up being easy. I think this is, along with the Pyramid, is going to help me get into using more of my gear together, simply because it can handle so much plugged into it at once, with different sync schemes.

I’m mostly amazed that I’ve managed to get my OP-1 to play nicely with other gear, finally! I know I could have easily done it using any other USB MIDI host device, but it seemed way easier to justify spending the money on this.

Yeah, but I believe there are only two presets on the device. So unless all your music is the same tempo, it’s probably not very useful to have it as your clock source if not using tap tempo.

Yes:

1 Like

Can this host multiple USB devices through a USB hub? That would be really interesting. It’s a damn shame the Blokas doesn’t…

According to the site it can! I’ll try it with a hub and my Lightpad Block+OP-1 at some point.

1 Like

Yes it can, I’m running multiple devices on it. However there seems to be some problems with USB MIDI: when certain devices (I’ve found this with Analog Rytm and Morningstar MC8) turn on, RK006 seems to get confused somehow and stops sending messages to TRS outputs. Restarting RK006 helps, but it’s a hassle. I’ve changed the two devices above to use DIN MIDI and everything works fine, but it’s not optimal. They told me over e-mail that they are aware of the issue and will try fixing it in a future firmware update, but FYI

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Hows everyone else getting along with their RK006? I’ve been trying to use mine as a USB-host but having all sorts of issues. It occasionally connects properly but more often will not. Ive even purchased a new hub to see if that was the issue but it hasn’t resolved anything.

What happens:

• it works somewhat reliably when plugging one USB device direct in as a clock master (A4 in my case, I can see it flashing with clock signal)
  • when I connect a hub and connect the same device it doesn’t see the signal
  • clearly this means I can’t connect multiple USB devices in

I can use my IPAD as a host with the same setup and it works, so it’s the RK006 causing the issues.

Any tips or advice? I emailed the Retrokits team a week ago but haven’t had any response. Just sent them a message via Instagram where it seems they’re active so hopefully they response soon.

1 Like

Just confirming -
If I give this thing power, and put it on my desk, I’ve got a midi through box (with more potential) that runs standalone without a computer?

3 Likes

Yep! It’s very powerful and will can be set up to do many things, but it will work just fine as standalone through and merge box with full USB MIDI standalone host.

1 Like

YO!!! Gerrit just released the 1.0 update which adds a feature I have been asking for, per-port divisions of the clock controllable by CC. In the updated config page, you must define the CC number to be used for clock divisions. Then, let’s say you are using a Digitakt to clock your RK-006, in the CC control page of the Digitakt you can change the division for each port. The MIDI channel that the Digitakt track is set to will be the port on the 006 that your division is happening on. Set the Digitakt track to MIDI channel 2, change your CC you’ve defined to divide clock, and the clock for port 2 on the 006 will be divided.

THIS IS HUGE, WE CAN P-LOCK CLOCK DIVISIONS NOW!

4 Likes

I love the rk-006 (mostly just as a tiny midi interface), but I wish they’d release a version of it with more inputs.

1 Like

If you plug a USB hub into it, you get USB MIDI in and out for those devices. I have the Digitakt and Digitone Keys going into both RK inputs, but I have other gear hooked up via USB for more inputs.

Pulled the trigger; put my order in for one of these yesterday.

I was very tempted to go with the Blokas Midihub, but the rk-006 seems a better value for me right now.

Retrokits are totally out of the 1/8 TRS-A to 1/8 TRS-B cables right now.
Any Elektronauts aware of any other manufacturers of these cables?

1 Like

If you don’t need a huge pile, they’re quick to solder, but I know that’s often an annoying answer.