RetroKits RK-006. Midi Hub, USB Host, Interface, Gate Hub

Can this host multiple USB devices through a USB hub? That would be really interesting. It’s a damn shame the Blokas doesn’t…

According to the site it can! I’ll try it with a hub and my Lightpad Block+OP-1 at some point.

1 Like

Yes it can, I’m running multiple devices on it. However there seems to be some problems with USB MIDI: when certain devices (I’ve found this with Analog Rytm and Morningstar MC8) turn on, RK006 seems to get confused somehow and stops sending messages to TRS outputs. Restarting RK006 helps, but it’s a hassle. I’ve changed the two devices above to use DIN MIDI and everything works fine, but it’s not optimal. They told me over e-mail that they are aware of the issue and will try fixing it in a future firmware update, but FYI

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Hows everyone else getting along with their RK006? I’ve been trying to use mine as a USB-host but having all sorts of issues. It occasionally connects properly but more often will not. Ive even purchased a new hub to see if that was the issue but it hasn’t resolved anything.

What happens:

• it works somewhat reliably when plugging one USB device direct in as a clock master (A4 in my case, I can see it flashing with clock signal)
  • when I connect a hub and connect the same device it doesn’t see the signal
  • clearly this means I can’t connect multiple USB devices in

I can use my IPAD as a host with the same setup and it works, so it’s the RK006 causing the issues.

Any tips or advice? I emailed the Retrokits team a week ago but haven’t had any response. Just sent them a message via Instagram where it seems they’re active so hopefully they response soon.

1 Like

Just confirming -
If I give this thing power, and put it on my desk, I’ve got a midi through box (with more potential) that runs standalone without a computer?

3 Likes

Yep! It’s very powerful and will can be set up to do many things, but it will work just fine as standalone through and merge box with full USB MIDI standalone host.

1 Like

YO!!! Gerrit just released the 1.0 update which adds a feature I have been asking for, per-port divisions of the clock controllable by CC. In the updated config page, you must define the CC number to be used for clock divisions. Then, let’s say you are using a Digitakt to clock your RK-006, in the CC control page of the Digitakt you can change the division for each port. The MIDI channel that the Digitakt track is set to will be the port on the 006 that your division is happening on. Set the Digitakt track to MIDI channel 2, change your CC you’ve defined to divide clock, and the clock for port 2 on the 006 will be divided.

THIS IS HUGE, WE CAN P-LOCK CLOCK DIVISIONS NOW!

4 Likes

I love the rk-006 (mostly just as a tiny midi interface), but I wish they’d release a version of it with more inputs.

1 Like

If you plug a USB hub into it, you get USB MIDI in and out for those devices. I have the Digitakt and Digitone Keys going into both RK inputs, but I have other gear hooked up via USB for more inputs.

Pulled the trigger; put my order in for one of these yesterday.

I was very tempted to go with the Blokas Midihub, but the rk-006 seems a better value for me right now.

Retrokits are totally out of the 1/8 TRS-A to 1/8 TRS-B cables right now.
Any Elektronauts aware of any other manufacturers of these cables?

1 Like

If you don’t need a huge pile, they’re quick to solder, but I know that’s often an annoying answer.

it’s a totally fair response.
more and more, it’s appears as though I’d benefit from setting up my own solder station!

I just did a big batch of the rock board angled low-profile DIN cables, converting them to TRS A adapters, specifically for using with the 006. Was surprisingly painless, once I found the rhythm.

I thought those only came in quarter inch. You found 1/8?

No, like took a bunch of the 20cm rockboard flat midi cables, cut them in half, and soldered a female 1/8" jack to each cut end with the right pinout.

1 Like

Whats the difference between the RetroKits RK-006 and Blokas Midihub? Pro/Contras?

1 Like

Quite a bit. The RK allows filtering, and gates, but the hub is a full-on processor. You can take incoming midi and transform it, route it, filter it, etc…

1 Like

Has anyone tried if the can host a Blokas Midihub and other USB midi devices at the same time? :blowfish:

Sounds like an awesome feature of the UC4.