Retrig Setup Menu -> Len

Can anyone explain to me what ‘Len’ controls on the retrig menu ?

I’ve read the manual, which didn’t help me, I’ve also experimented and can’t find that it makes any difference that I can hear.

The manual says:

LEN Sets the duration of the retrig velocity curve in fractions of, or rational or integer multiples of, a step (0,125–INF). 1/16 is the nominal length of one step. This setting affects the behavior of the velocity curve by defining the boundaries of its envelope.

I have trouble figuring out what ‘retrig velocity curve’ and ‘boundaries of its envelope’ mean in the context of retrig. I was hoping that ‘velocity’ and ‘envelope’ were suggesting the trigs would fade over time but :man_shrugging: who knows ?

Yeah, this does nothing. I brought it up in beta testing of 1.13 in 2021 but nothing was done about it.. and we haven’t had a new firmware since May of that year so not sure if they did any work to resolve it.

edit: it does something in the “trig repeat” menu (where you set up how retrig behaves on trigs entered into the sequencer), but not in the “retrig” menu (where you set up how retrig behaves on live playing)

For further clarity, I believe it modifies the duration of the velocity down/up as specified by the Fad parameter, for retrigs entered into the sequencer. For live playing, there is no fade, or need for a duration, as velocity fading is directly related to pad pressure.

1 Like

Many thanks, getting to grips with it (‘trig repeat’) now. Not 100% sure of all the interactions with the pad/velocity menu, but getting there.