Resources for Creative Sampling in Ableton?

Maybe @CarlMikaelBjork has something for you:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/creative-sampling-and-sound-design-in-ableton-live/81922

5 Likes

An excellent suggestion. Will check this out over the weekend.

1 Like

This guy made a whole track using just a Redbull can and a mic in Ableton. Not the best example of a song but you can see him get pretty creative with his sampling to make all sorts of sounds. Most of this is applicable with Push as well.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/vqHXhqSiETY just realized I forgot the link, my bad!

2 Likes

He probably takes things in the direction I should in that he uses actual synth sounds to fill things out. I actually quite like losing myself trying to make a sound into something totally unique and different.

99% of the time it’s more hassle than it’s worth and I should just go with Omnisphere or something out of Komplete but sometimes that change of pace is what I’m needing to keep the juices flowing.

Was well worth a watch though, thanks!

Do you have Live Suite? If so there is loads of Max for live stuff that you can use to treat audio.
Some of the sequencers are well good at messing sound around.

Granulator is good . . And the Wavetable synth can use any bits of audio as an oscillator.
Always loads of resampling to a separate audio track using the above stuff, and lob it into Simpler to play it ‘normally’

Not sure if all or some of the Max for Live stuff is pre-mapped to the Push controller though.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m interested in using Sampler in Live to make rhythmic hooks. I really like what the filter and pitch envelopes bring to the table.
An example of the sound I’m looking for is the phrase that is repeated throughout LTJ Bukem Cosmic Interlude. It gives it a great groove.

2 Likes

Listening to some of this LTJ Bukem stuff. Some very cool sounds and def some of the stuff I’m interested in trying to do too.

I think I need to just get stuck in and do the old trial and error as much as anything!

1 Like

Hell yeah. That’s my approach. If you have a fast computer this can be so much fun. Just keep chucking devices on there until you get something you like. Sample, resample, and resample again. Chop it up. Pitch it up, pitch it down. Endless fun. Use Redux, Pedal, Erosion, and TAL DAC, Vinyl distortion for old school fx.

3 Likes

Well you can drag and drop SNES .sfz sound fonts into ableton a sampler ( or is it simpler ) one of those two and it loads up all the soundfonts as samples in your library.

1 Like

Then resample them into more interesting and personal sounds with ableton audio FX ^

Now that’s a shout!

1 Like

2 Likes

What?!

This is the video I was talking about with using 1 snare sample. Really enjoyed this one and loads of examples of using Push to do things I didn’t even know was possible! Like certain pad combos.

2 Likes

Nice topic, I have the same problem. How do I work creatively with samples?
For me it is an art form and you need a certain basis in sound design to create interesting sounds.
A few years ago, in 2015, we had a SienceLab competition here. Take a sample and make a track.

I loved that. In addition to the many remarkable entries, there was also a particularly remarkable one that also won afterwards.

Although this has nothing to do with Ableton Live, it shows the basic principles that are necessary for creative sampling. But this can be wonderfully transferred to other tools.

Have Fun :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Dragging this a bit off topic but getting the same outcome I’ve found my recently acquired XDJ700 one of the best loopers for pulling out phrases to either let loop or resample into my DJS1000 or into Ableton to build new tracks

I think that hits the nail in the head. For years I had been a presets guy. But using samples always seemed really cool and interesting. I like that I could sample something an be the only person on the planet with that specific sample and then turn it into something else. OT/DT took me in lots of directions and I got more proficient at what I was doing too. The OT Mk2 really took me off on adventures.

I guess I just need to find that sort of flow ITB now that I’ve had to sell things. Def checking out that science challenge. Forgot about that one actually - what a great challenge though!

1 Like

I am also a preset guy. Sometimes I don’t want more than a few good presets and just start jamming.

But I also find it quite interesting to let myself go and explore the sound design options of my tools.

I found the following workflow that works best for me.

I separate sound design phases from composition phases.

So at times I have enough possibilities to design sounds that I can then use in composition phases.
In Ableton Live you can also separate it wonderfully, because you can save racks and tracks separately. A win-win situation for me.

The problem with worklows is also, in my view, that there is not one workflow, there is nothing right or wrong.

What always helps me to come up with new ideas is definitely this forum :grinning:

And this link, which everyone probably knows, but for me it is a real treasure trove.

https://www.soundonsound.com/series/synth-secrets

And of course the most important of all have fun :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just look up loading soundfonts into ableton on YouTube or google :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like