Replicate the Moogerfooger MF-105?

Would you go a bit more in details on the how to?

I’d use 4 THRU tracks, using either the filter or the EQ with various settings on FX1, an LFO with different speed on the amp volume, and some phaser on FX2 to get it in stereo.
:metal::elot::metal:

3 Likes

A bit off topic (as not pertaining to how to do this with an OT) but if VSTs are an option you might not know that Moog has ported it as an official plugin. Which seems also available on iPad.

2 Likes

Yes I know about the plugin but i prefer hardware :wink:

2 Likes

Working on it. Thanks for that inspiring challenge.:wink:

OT filter and EQ values? - #8 by zite909

In the BASS voicing, the lowest filter acts as a lowpass filter with a cutoff frequency of 110 Hz. This is ideal for bass players or bass sounds that need to retain the presence of all their lowest frequencies. The remaining seven filters are resonant filters with center frequencies of 160, 240, 350, 525, 775, 1200 and 1800 Hz.

In the MIDS voicing, all 8 filters act as resonant filters with center frequencies of 200, 300, 450, 675, 1000, 1500, 2200, and 3400 Hz. The MIDS voicing is very good for processing sounds with dense mid- frequency harmonics, including guitars, vocals, or synthesizer pad sounds.

3 Likes

Great findings, i did not even know there were different voicing on the MoogerFooger.

@Blasted_pingin I made something which seems a good start. I used different filter frequencies by ear, on 8 tracks.
It is much simpler with 8 tracks to start. After you defined frequencies, you can plock 2 different ones on 1 track, 1 filter.
This way you can reduce the tracks to 4, if you want 8 frequencies. Anyway you can choose less, increasing bandwidth.
OT have the particularity to have 2 resonant frequencies, you can play with that.

1 Like

I’m not sure to understand.

Can’t we use only 1 track and P-lock the filter frequencies?

Possible. But less convenient, mono filter. You have to plock each frequency. Is MF105 mono filter ?

With 8 tracks it is much convenient to edit your sequence, adjust frequencies after. Edit : the original seems to have 8 parallel filters…

Did you get interesting results?

Yes, not recorded yet. I’d like to learn more about MF105 specs to mimic it more precisely.

I already worked on similar stuff, filtering on different steps, tracks.

1 Like

Are the filters in the MuRF in series or parallel? I think it’s parallel and their EGs trigger serially, but I’m going by memory from playing one years ago.

If the filters are in fact parallel, you’d need multiple OT tracks with filters, right? I think this sounds totally doable. I want to try too, but don’t have the real thing to compare to.

I’ve heard good things about the new-ish Moogerfooger plugins, but probably won’t be buying them

1 Like

It’s a bank of 8 parallel fixed frequency bp filters with ad envelopes and relative level controls. And various sequences to play through the different bands by triggering the envelopes attached to the filters. Pretty wacky idea and sounds great.

3 Likes

I don’t have the hardware version, but really enjoy the plug-in. Highly recommended to get a feel for what all it can do.

1 Like

3 saws from Hydrasynth through OT, 8 Thru with bandpass filter, 2 resonances, decay/vol control with crossfader. Mono.
OG seems stereo ! Have to work on frequencies too.

5 Likes

Pretty spot on!

1 Like

Filter parameters abuse. Stereo.
Only filters, no other fx.

Unfortunately I can’t work on it properly because I have a stuck trig (trig 4), as if it was held. I have to repair it…(glue). :neutral_face:

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I thought the filters were parallel, so I believe separaste OT tracks would be a decent representation. Do you happen to know if the envelopes trigger serially or all at the same time?

Awesome!!

1 Like

The “patterns” are basically sequences of hitting the different filters. I do believe more than one can hit at a time.