UPDATE: Replaced the Analog Heat with SSL SiX

Yep, and there’s the routing, too. I resample and apply fx to some extent through a mixer before it’s time to record. Well, we’ll see soon, trying out the SSL today.

1 Like

So I bought it. Yeah. Watch this space for before and after examples.

6 Likes

Ha. I fear I’d do the same if I ever tried one. Look forward to hearing the results.

Yeah, well, I did the math. I don’t really have any mixing or masting environment at all. So considering the package and if I wanna shift up to control my mixes more, it made sense. Selling stuff now to fund it, the Heat among them.

I was actually considering letting go of my Tanzmaus now, having sampled it enough. But it came through so nicely when I ran it through the SSL compressors and EQ, feeling that I could get more out of it still. So it was that kind of experience today.

2 Likes

I should add that the Heat remains as lovely as ever. But I can’t afford to keep it now, and the SSL SiX adds that which I need, and the Heat only implies, in my particular case.

2 Likes

My budget summing / saturation / overdrive arrangement in DAWless live setup:

Drum tracks: Tanzmaus (1x stereo + 3 mono), OT cue outs into Boss BX 8 mixer. Mixer goes into an old klark tekniks compressor. Drive preampts to taste!

Drum Bus, five synth channels (Bass Station 2 + x2 stereo Nord G2 ), FX (Lex MPX 1) return from drum mixer, Send FX return (H9) go into Boss 16 channel. Main Bus output into Klark compressor 3 and 4. The Bass Station goes through an Empress Multidrive.

The limitation with the Bosses is only 1 mono send > stereo rtrn on the 8, Stereo send return on the 16. But I really like the preamps. Ideally I should have another compressor / limiter for the main bus and use channels 3/4 of the klark to sidechain the drum fx with kick. Together the 2 mixers cost me 200 euros! I got the Klark a few years back refurbished from Klark for around £260.

Anyway here’s how it’s sounding without klark compression on the main bus.

1 Like

I like the way you put that. I hope you can hang on to the heat long enough try it on the master insert of the SiX, as that aligns with the imaginary setup in my head for if I ever got a SiX. Either way, I’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it. It already sounds like you’re impressed.

Oh – congratulations on the new mixer! :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: we’ll see, the Heat’s already in the box, got a buyer already. But I can imagine that your idea would make quite a neat set-up.

Holy mother of god, this thing is glorious. I’m gonna share as soon as I can, but right now, goddam.

7 Likes

Considering your recent purchase, you might want to change the title of this thread.

2 Likes

now go do this with it:

3 Likes

Good call. Fixed.

congrats for the SiX. AH is very colored and I understand you get bored of it. Maybe it’s better suiter as what it is really: a distortion effect and not a master bus compressor.

1 Like

This kind of post is making me reconsider the layout of my setup already. I juuuuuuust “finished” it, too! hahah. While I spend a couple more months with this setup, I’ll definitely keep tracking this thread. I can see the value of having a proper mixer in my setup. I have a pair of 500-series preamps that I built going into my MOTU M4, but I could see the SiX making those unnecessary and then some.

2 Likes

I run DFAM, Lyra and micro freak into mine. When pulsar arrives that will go in also. They are great mixers and take up no space.

1 Like

And I have another form guitar with sends to loopers delay and reverb. I like just being able to record takes and be done, that’s Worth the investment for me.

1 Like

Yeah – I think anything that improves workflow and lets you get to the act of creating is worth investigating.

2 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance, as I have very limited experience with mixers but I don’t really understand this mixer and its seeming lack of certain features, aux sends/returns etc.

Channels 1 & 2 each have an insert send and return, and there is also an insert send and return for the main mix. But to access any of them, you need a couple DB25 breakout connectors to hook up to the back of the mixer.

1 Like

The main feature is the sound. Yes, it certainly lacks function for the money. But again, the sound. You would get this for a specific purpose. I still hold the Allen heath mix wizard as the best all purpose workhorse-duties, no doubt.

1 Like