Reorganize samples on DT without messing up existing projects?

Can anyone confirm … If I move samples from one folder to another folder on the Digitakt, will I mess up the existing projects that use those samples?

I seem to remember that samples are uniquely tagged, and that you can move them around without losing the reference/link within existing projects … I just want to be 100% sure!

Pete

Same question here. Thx

Confirming. You certainly can.

2 Likes

Yes the projects reference the samples via a hash of the sample. This means that the sample can be moved anywhere on the drive and still be referenced.

For the non-technical, a hash is basically a unique value derrived from the sound file.

1 Like

Also, not to toot my own horn, but…

If you want to do sample reorganization of the +Drive, you might find elk-herd a more suitable tool for it than Transfer. It presents the +Drove as a tree and you can easily drag-n-drop reorganize. Just search it up on this forum for a link to it.

4 Likes

Awesome mzero, thank you! I just used elk-herd, and it did the trick. So much better than the DT panel.

I can also confirm that moving samples has no impact on existing projects. :slight_smile:

Pete

3 Likes

+100 for elk-herd!

4 Likes

Dang man. I just spent an hour reorganizing about 1200 drum samples. It would have taken me 5 minutes just doing it through elk…

Now i’m refining the structure more because it’s so easy.

:smiley:

1 Like