Remove clipping from recording

I’ve recorded some guitar parts a year ago that I won’t be able to replicate. Unfortunately, there is some obvious clipping on on several parts where I strum a bit too hard. What’s the easiest way to remove these?

I have Ableton and an OT, is there a workaround with onboard plugins/functions on these? I have the recordings in Ableton and on my OT.

If not, would Izotope RX 10 Elements do the job? Or is there a cheaper alternative, hopefully I won’t need the plugin in the future.

The guitar part is clean and dry. It would be easiest to apply some distortion that masks the clipping, but it doesn’t really suite the guitar part.

Audacity has clip fix which might be worth trying since it is free, and quick and easy to install/remove.

1 Like

Awesome, will do some research on this and try, thanks for the super fast help!

I used it before and it was ok, but I guess it is very much dependent on the material, I’d think you have a pretty good chance on a clean dry file so long as it isn’t a square wave.

1 Like

Izotope RX is probably the most capable tool for this

3 Likes

Yeah so I’ve heard, but the full version is 200€ and definitely too much for a one time thing. But I guess elements should also work? Or maybe there’s even a trial …

RX10 Elements has the de-clip plugin so yes that will work!

1 Like

Another +1 for Audacity. It is well capable and results are good. The downside is that one has to remove the clips manually using some combination of the “Repair” effect, “Click Removal” effect, and the pencil tool. The upside is that one can learn a new skill of clip removal which could come in handy, and save money for the pizza fund.

1 Like

Grab the full demo, repair the audio, done. :smiley:

I did this last month (de-hiss) and it worked nicely.

1 Like

I would be interested in knowing how these de-clipping tools do. Might check then out myself… It’s interesting, because it seems like the information that was clipped off the waveform would be totally lost, right? Maybe the software can make an educated guess on what was clipped off from the context and recreate it?

Personally when I went to recover a sample that has been clipped, I just lower the gain in the clipped area and keep that distorted sound. I’m a distortion junkie though :wink:

I’ve just downloaded the trial version. However, the description says that export is disabled. How did you make it work then?

I resampled what I needed in the DAW

Fair enough, will try that.

PM me if you’d like me to sort it :+1:

1 Like