Releasing inf note via MIDI on A4 MKI

Hi,

Of course I’m using the new MIDI sequencer feature on the A4 now (Elektron is no. one customer support and maintenance for me) and am using it to trigger a pad via MIDI to my Virus with the trig condition 1st and note length inf. How do I send a release without having to send a new note with a short release? Is it possible?

Thanks for your help.

-Dennis

Quick hack/fix : Play a note on that track with the onboard keys and obviously mute the track - poly might get in the way a bit here

edit : confused amp envelope with note gate

Afaicr, not trying right now, Elektrons dynamically follow a variation in note length, so you can always just dial the release back, I think the note will end even though the sequencer will not be involved (no mute required here) - it would certainly work for onboard sounds, now whether the Midi side is working in line with that you will perhaps find out, ideally this would be the case

1 Like

FTR - playing the same sustaining notes manually will send a note off that’ll work, for most synths anyway

This raises an important issue

Double Stop is not even sending the All Notes Off command CC123, so it can be problematic to have a synth sound sustaining

The best workaround I can see is to have a Fill condition P-locked to a quick decay, low velocity just after the sustaining 1st chord (use same notes) then Fill the drone away - this works but it’s a bit hacky

1 Like

What determines a note length is a Note On and a Note Off midi messages.

You need to send a Note off message to stop a note, or a All Notes Off message.
Change Length seems a good idea…

I’m checking now if track mute sends notes off and if double stop sends All Notes Off as Octatrack…

@avantronica, missed your post editing and 2nd post. Did you find out?

1 Like

Indeed Double Stop does not send the midi message, I’ll report this as an oversight/bug

The workaround is what I forgot to post, it does work, not ideal, but not too difficult as you copy/paste the droning 1st note, but p-lock a lower velocity and shorter length

So a Fill can kill the drone - without the need for a double stop, but the device needs a double stop CC123 for general safety management

like so (Trig 1)
Droning
use copy paste to next trig (Trig 2), then p-lock red values fully left as shown
then use FillKillTM to kill the midi drone
FillKill

1 Like

Yep. FILL is a good idea.

Mute should send notes off too no?

With a midi monitor I noticed something surprising :
If I set a note with 1ST and INF Length, it sends a Note On. Normal.
[MIDI-In1] - 90 41 01 (Note On)

If I stop and play again, it plays a Note Off just before the Note On.
[MIDI-In1] - 90 41 00 (Note On)
[MIDI-In1] - 90 41 01 (Note On)
Probably intended to avoid overlap if there’s more than 1 voice in polyphonic settings…

Other thing : the sequencer sends Note On (9n) with 0 value as Note Off, and the mini keyboard sends regular Notes Off (8n). Mini Keyboard :
[MIDI-In1] - 90 3C 01 (Note On)
[MIDI-In1] - 80 3C 00 (Note Off)

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Will try the FillKill tm solution :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes