Rehearsing with a band & playing live with backing tracks and visualizations

Hi!
I’ve already got Analog Keys and Rytm and now I’m starting to think about getting Octatrack to simplify my live setup… but I’m not really sure if Octatrack is capable of all the things I need. Maybe someone could help me clarify it? :slight_smile:

A) I’d like to rehearse with my band… and without a computer.

— inputs used for:

1. dynamic mic without a preamp (with reverb on if possible?)
  2. guitar and synth through an iPad (or even without if possible?)
  3. sampler - Roland SPD-SX
  4. bass and MS-20 through preamp

— outputs used for:

• headphones - mix of inputs + backing track + click
  • 2x outputs - another mix (different levels) of inputs + backing track + click

Let’s say there are about 15 backing tracks (mixdowns) in various tempos and I want to be able to switch between them easily. In this case there’s a metronome in headphones and other outputs.

B) I’d like to play live and control visualizations… still without a computer :wink:

• route backing track through one pair of outputs
  • route click through another pair of outputs
  • control prerecorded music visualizations through it (send play/stop?) - we’ve just begun to talk about this aspect so I’m not really sure how it’s gonna work yet. We’re probably gonna have to use another computer for VJ-ing and there probably has to be some way to synchronize music and video…

Can anyone tell me if it’s all possible with Octatrack? Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’d be looking at the MPC Live for something like that.

Unfortunately MPC Live has only 2 inputs… I was GASing hard for it before it was released, but after watching a few videos I can’t shake of the feeling it’s just an ugly iPad :wink:

1 Like

Gotcha. I missed the part about needing 4 inputs. You could always use a little sub-mixer.

The more gear, the more problematic it becomes. If I need another mixer, I could as well bring my RME audio interface and then… why not use my laptop or even iPad for backing tracks? Well… maybe it is the best solution after all :slight_smile: Anyway, I was hoping I could get just one box, save two different projects and forget about connecting, rerouting, setting levels etc. :slight_smile:

BTW, why exactly do you think that Octatrack won’t be up to the task? I expect it’s mostly because low input levels or not being able to trigger the visualizations?

1 Like

The OT can do most of this, but not all.

However:

• You would definitely need a preamp for the dynamic microphone.
  • If you needed to use all four inputs at once, each would be have to be in mono.

In your scenario A), it sounds like you would be better off with a simple backing track playback machine and a mixer.

Scenario B) is OK if the the VJ software can respond to MIDI clock and other MIDI messages.

1 Like

Thanks, Peter! I’m ok with the mono as long as the backing tracks are in stereo - it’s just a rehearsal. I thought that MK2 has been upgraded with better preamps, but now I checked and it says “balanced audio inputs with plenty of headroom”. That’s a pity! Anyway, it seems that Octatrack might not be the best choice after all and I should stick to Ableton Live. Thanks guys for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like