Reface CP as Auto Channel keyboard?

I’ve got a little Yamaha Reface CP that I’d like to use as a auto channel keyboard with my DT.

Thing is, as far as I can tell, it is only capable of sending MIDI on Channel 1. (there is no interface to change this).

Am I shit out of luck if I would like to send it via another channel? (I would prefer to keep Channels 1-8 clean)

If the Reface CP is running the latest firmware then it allows you to change the MIDI “Transmit Channel” from the default value of 1.

Get the Supplementary Manual and (if necessary) the firmware from Yamaha’s website.

6 Likes

Legend! Thank you!

1 Like

Bummer I cant get the firmware update to work properly.

The Yamaha manual is written sufficiently vaguely that I’m still not 100% sure if the firmware update has been successsfuly, OR if I am correctly entering into the mode that allows you to change Transmit Channel.

’ If the [TYPE] knob’s Wr lamp and Clv lamp light up or flash, your reface already has firmware version 1.30 and does not need to be updated. If the lamps neither light up nor flash, proceed with updating as described in “Updating Procedure.”

Originally when I tried this, I got the Clv lighting up, and THEN the Wr, but not at the same time. Now I only get the Clv lighting up when testing if the Firmware update has worked.

Similarly, when I try to enter the mode that changes Transmit Channel, (holding down A3, C#4 + E4 while pressing the ON button), all of the ‘TYPE’ lights temporarily light up — as per what the manual indicates should happen — but they don’t stay on, which is never mentioned in the manual.

In any case, when I follow the next step to change the MIDI transmit channel, its having no effect.

Try transpose to be sure to have installed the update…

I like it, it lacks some controls, more octaves as a controller. Transpose may help if you can go 3 octaves lower, which I doubt. Recorded yesterday (DT2 sliced piano sample)

I am not sure to keep it though. I prefer Hydrasynth Explorer keyboard. I also ordered an Akai Mini Plus. Interested in Minifreak too.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. I have transpose set to zero, or the default setting.

How does trying transpose serve to check if the update has installed?

Isn’t it a new feature with the update ?

Ah, I worked it out!

Sorry, but I found the way the manual oscillates between instructions for each of the different Reface models confusing, and I obviously misread a step in my previous attempts.

All working now — thank you all very much! :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Yes indeed. Have fun.
I have to check transpose limits, I don’t think you can play notes 0-7 (0-15 for DT2), that triggers each track.

Works a charm now, so thank you.

Hmmmm… I don’t suppose I could use any of the knobs on the Reface to control additional stuff on the DT?

Have you done something similar?

You could, but without additional intermediate processing it would not be very useful.

The Data List document for the Reface series, downloadable from Yamaha’s website, lists the MIDI Control Change (CC) messages sent by the Refaces.

The Digitakt manual lists the MIDI CC messages that the DT responds to.

The parameters do not necessarily correspond. It’s a similar situation to using a Roland Boutique synth to control an Elektron instrument, previously described here:

2 Likes

Superb! I love my CP’s versatile set of effects and I also like being confined in small places.

1 Like

That is the nicest way I’ve ever heard anyone say RTFM.

1 Like

A manual for 4 different synths ! And CP is the simplest…
You have to download the manual, the update appendix, and the midi implementation chart…
So boring…

Not simple.
But you can use knobs for midi learn with DT2 or Octatrack.

You have to activate Midi Control. (Commande midi)

Control Changes

About midi control :

Apparently you can’t reach lmlowest octave, notes 0-11. Bummer, you can’t trigger all DT tracks.

Normal lower setting is octave 2, you can transpose 1 octave lower.

1 Like

Another monumental effort! My previous may have come off as harsh to the OP but was intended to be humorous (the internet changes things).

edit: I’ll be stalking your YT channel over the next few days.

Indeed. Not even sure to use it, but I wanted to know how since a few weeks. It was the occasion. :content:

Above video about CP midi control isn’t mine.

First one is, the sound isn’t CP but a piano sample chain I made for the DT2…works pretty well imho. (Midi notes from CP and RK002 to dispatch 8 voices on DT

1 Like

Very nice harmonies. You should definitely use that. CP has a great phaser and set of delays that I’m sure you’re aware of :wink: among other goodies.

1 Like