Reeeeally basic Qs about Digitakt + other gear

midi configuration is like the pipes that send the water, you have to configure those with the correct channels or there won’t be any talking going on. Midi source is so that the water isn’t always on, you can select on a per pattern basis where you want that track’s midi to point at. Auto channel is so that the controller portion will talk to whichever channel is currently selected (active), it takes some of the specificity out of routing where control is concerned but you can use a specific channel instead of auto channel depending on your intentions.

Tchu’s info is more detailed, I’m just trying to simplify the concept so you have the very basic foundation and you can build understanding on top of that.

3 Likes

You’re a great popularizer.

1 Like

you make a nice potpourri.

1 Like

potpourri = Copy/Paste from the manual. :rofl:

1 Like

you both make a great combo actually <3

3 Likes

@shigginpit is the Digitakt and I’m the Syntakt.

5 Likes

This is key! I have several synths, effects pedals and MIDI controllers chained without any MIDI hub, splitter etc. A lot of gear has a MIDI thru. And even some that only have a an output that’s labeled as „MIDI out“, this can be set to work as a thru. For example, Roland boutiques work this way.

@mitya33: Maybe you let us know what you’re planning to do and we can see what you need or don’t need. There’s lots of possible solutions but also pitfalls, but we don’t need to get into the complicated stuff if you don’t need it.

If you just want to hook up another machine and sequence it with DT, feed its audio back into DT, all you need is a pair of MIDI and audio cables.

1 Like

2 Likes

You mean @shigginpit is about to be discontinued so that you can get their sampling machine?

FWIW, I actually find ST easier to understand and more immediate than DT :nerd_face:.

3 Likes

so in effect, channel settings and track channel should match within the DT.

:cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Channel settings and MIDI Channel should match.

I personally leave the Track Channels to OFF unless you want to Trig/Control them externally.

1 Like

I’m hard to understand

:sob:

2 Likes

@shigginpit will die and resurrect as the ultimate Elektron Machine.

2 Likes

Surely.

2 Likes

Look, all I‘m trying to say is that you’re not for everyone, because you require patience with all the sample management. And yes, you could probably try to learn how to understand mod wheel, aftertouch or breath controller talking to you. But there’s lots of people out there who don’t care and value your eight dedicated MIDI tracks.

2 Likes

a potpourri-utilizer.

2 Likes

I feel so dirty right now.

2 Likes

What about Pitch Bend?

2 Likes

warm me up first.

2 Likes