Reducing stereo image, or full mono?

I run my Eurorack system through a few fx pedals and then my Analog Heat mkII as the final stage. Curious if there is a way to reduce the stereo image, or just sum it to mono? I’ve experimented with the envelope width, and this helps, but I usually run my signal at something less than 100% wet out the AH. Since I keep the AH plugged in and out as stereo, ideally it would be reduced or summed to dual mono. Any ideas? Thanks!

What do you want?
Less stereo width?
Or just mono?

In my experience with it, AH doesnt do any stereo widening. It is a stereo processor, meaning a stereo signal sent in will be preserved on its way out.

If you want mono, just go mono in, mono out.

If you want less stereo width do that before you hit the AH.

Note: some AH algorithms can present a sound that we percieve as wider due to excitation of harmonics in certain frequencies. However, there isnt actually any stereo widening happening, its just how our ears work.

Another note. I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I think on the AH mk2 you can also go mono in, dual mono out, i.e. it duplicates a mono input to both outputs. The mk2 does that, but not mk1

Only problem with mono in / mono out, is that I use a stereo delay and stereo reverb in to the AH. I reduce the stereo width, and make mono options all the time in my DAW after recording, but was thinking it would be very helpful to do it at my final mix stage instead. The AH has filter panning and envelope widening fx that give it more of a stereo perception, but it doesn’t seem to actually widen or reduce the image. Maybe I just need another pedal before or after the Analog Heat?

I dont think this does what you think it does.

If you want (or it least it seems you want) less stereo width in your music, why use stereo reverb and delay?

I dont think you need another pedal.

1 Like

Good question - it’s mostly a production technique. If i’m working out a single part (like a bass line), but I want to use my stereo delay pedal, and I don’t want it so wide, I’ll use a software plugin to center the bass frequencies and constrain the delays to a more narrow field. Unfortunately, my Strymon Timeline and NightSky won’t let me affect the stereo width either. It would be great to hear it on my hardware, before recording it and then changing the stereo image with software.

Right, the “width” on the envelope page is a pre-envelope filter width, not stereo width:

I don’t think there’s a way to sum left+right to mono, but I can see how that would be useful – especially if we could only sum the wet and leave the dry in stereo, which could be cool for cleanly distorting the low end. If I’m wrong I’d be interested in knowing the answer

1 Like

Sounds like you might need to multi track record, add your reverb FX, AH and stereo treatments as you prefer, then add maybe also AH as an effect on the mix bus in post.

Good luck.