Redid setup, choosing new groovebox

Everything I purchase is now “for life”.

Welcome, once and for all, Digitakt.

9 Likes

That’s 4 black boxes of perfection right there!

1 Like

I have had my opz for two years now and the build is very high quality… It had a bad reputation because there are more then a few that had issues… But try have ramped up qc very much and don’t forget the ones with problems are the loudest… It may not seem like it but the ones with problems are a very small number compared to those without… Just look at the reviews at places like amazon for perspective… For every one with issues you will find a hundred perfectly functioning ones.

The problem with the encoders coming out was because try were installing the magnets in backwards rarely, but that had been dealt with by showing them to make sure they know the right way.

I wouldn’t think twice to get one now as long as it is a new one… But mine is perfect still from the third batch.

1 Like

And lastly… I am set for quite a while! Now all I have to do is return my mixer for a new audio interface. I didn’t get along very well with a mixer since I don’t plan on doing this live in person currently. It had a built in audio interface but I didn’t like the sound compares to my previous interfaces.

3 Likes

I don’t generally take a lot of interest in throwback colour schemes and the like but full credit to Akai: that retro version is beautiful

6 Likes

As previously stated I got it for less than a normal one new, it’ll hold value well. I am a computer junky so I really, really enjoyed these monotonous greys and off-white colors from the vintage PC and mechanical keyboard era.

I was born in the '90s, there really is something nicely nostalgic about it, almost calming. Reminds me of my first computer, my first GameBoy with no backlight or color, my first PlayStation…

1 Like

Yeah I too love the old Akai look… it actually makes me whish the OS had an Classic skin or something… that UI looks so jarring to me. Model:Cycles has that Dreamcast/Psone look in spades… the power handle even reminds me of some of the wacky old game console accessories.

3 Likes

I love it… what I don’t understand is all of the flashing lights and skittles color schemes going on these days, it’s like having a gang of candy ravers stand right next you while you are trying to work on music :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I remember on my GameBoy I had the magnifying glass attachment with the flashlight… I just watched Look Mum No Computer’s video of the PS One music maker game from MTV. Really brings me back. I’m extremely excited to use it. I’ve got Moog for sample material, and Elektron/MPC for sampling.

That’s the one thing I wish I could change about the TR8S I just got! If I could make it less bright flashing lights more subtle blinking single LEDs that would be much more pleasing to my eyes, but perhaps the 40+ market is not their target demographic…

I blame native instruments for all of the lucky charm shenanigans because they started the flashing skittles syndrome and their only demographic was Richie hawton , if I’m not mistaken isn’t he over 40…

1 Like

I have used the following the last 6 months:
Model:Sample - I did not like this - sold
Model:Cycles - (played for a week, nice, but prefer the DN) - sold
Novation Circuit Tracks - still evaluating
Organelle M - Love, but still evaluating
1010 Music Blackbox, like, but not using as much.

I’d go with the OP-Z., and OP-1 I love the OP-Z so much I bought a backup

2 Likes

Its funny, the OP-Z is the only device i know where people have multiple units…

I guess that says something about the build quality but also speaks volumes for how freaking rad it is…

4 Likes

How’s the tr8s? Been grooving to videos of them lately and thinking of grabbing one

I have to confess, as yet I’m very much in the “get in - I’ve got a drum machine!” phase of drum machine ownership, which is resulting in just sitting with the unit and nothing else, making sparse, vaguely dancehall-infused beats and grinning whilst playing with the fill and effects functions. I’m sure I’ll get to sensible usage soon, though, at which point I’ll try it in a larger setup and learn more about what it can do besides make me exclaim “Haha!” loudly whilst turning up the volume

3 Likes

Sounds like a good time. I’m wanting to create a liveset and was considering just using the digitakt and TR8S. Tried using just the digitakt and while the mono drums are a delight, everything being mono is not so wonderful.
I’ll ask again in a month when the honeymoon phase is over. Lol.

2 Likes

That’s more or less precisely why I wanted it too. Essentially I want to make a live performance rig utilising various different elements of that encourage, if not improvisation per se (thanks to my limits as a musician), some form of spontaneous creation. My intention is to combine it with a collection of things that are all sync’d together somehow (ultimately I think the iPad will play a major role here, utilising Atom 2 alongside a Launchpad Pro). I think I have more or less all the elements I want to use, it’s just a matter of mastering them all sufficiently to be able to make them so what I want them to.

My idea is:

• TR8S with guitar pedals connected to individual outputs (fuzz on the kick, delay on the hihats, chorus or flanger on the snare etc)

• Model:Samples

• 2 Korg Volcas with the Pajen firmware, one as a polysynth using single cycle waveforms and the other as a percussion box with samples 0-99 available in chromatic mode

• Korg MS-20 Mini for bass (or possibly the Moog Sirin, but I feel as though I may end up selling that)

And then I have additional toys to bring into play, including the Koma Elektronik Field Kit and Field Kit FX, but I think that’s perhaps enough to be going on with for starters (least of all because I’ll struggle to physically accomodate a larger setup)

1 Like

I’d say more 50+

He just turned 51.

1 Like

I’m just itchy to build a live set. Digitakt only doesn’t cut it. I tried and tried, but the continuing of bouncing down tracks to samples to free up other tracks for a 30-45 min liveset is insane. I could use the Machinedrum, but it’s not something I’d ever take out of my house… Plus… the sound is not what I am looking for all the time.

1 Like

My friend told me that the last Track I made with my MD sounded very Organic (without any Post-Processing).