Redid setup, choosing new groovebox

Same for me too. I had a lot of issues with BM3, these days I use AUM for hosting, Atom Piano Roll 2 for sequencing and various AUv3s as sound sources (Patterning 2, EG Pulse, Koala etc)

If you don’t mind having only sampling workflow instead of linear audio recording, Nanostudio 2 is solid.

I wouldn’t personally go for the MPC Live II, especially the limited retro edition. I’d personally vouch for the MPC One - it’s a modern-day MPC 1000 in my opinion. The price is great, the size is perfect (I found the MPC Live a bit too bulky for the lack of controls) and it has CV connectivity if I recall so it’s handy for eurorack if you like that sort of thing. It can also be powered via USB power bank if you get the right cable. I had one and thought it was the best of the lot for my purposes, however I am an Ableton Live junkie and as such didn’t find any value in sequencing/sampling into the MPC.

1 Like

Thank you, there are still some MPC One Retro Editions available

Cross posting this, as I’m looking for some feedback before I pull the trigger on an Octotrack.
I know the advice to just get the OT, use it for 2 months, and then decide, but still it’s a lot of money to plunk down.

I have purchased and sold the OT twice. It’s not that I didn’t know how to use it, although I admit I didn’t give it enough time. I just couldn’t justify use cases that make people rave about it, like a like mixer, live looper, etc… I just wanted to make music, and I didn’t have enough gear to properly feed the OT at the time. I’m sure there are people that would say the exact opposite of me, but I couldn’t justify it without proper gear to feed it.

I have owned an OT and now own an MPC One, which suits my requirements better than the OT did mainly due the MPC having a more powerful sequencer for my needs.

Obviously I have no idea which you would find most suitable but, as the OT is not battery powered, I suspect it is not an important feature for you so you could consider the One as well as the Live 2 and OT.

2 Likes

Thanks, alongside the DT, I think the MPC One will make a great companion. From there I would rather get an Elektron synth I think, because once I get the MPC One, your boi will be acquiring an ER-301

1 Like

Aw sheeeeeeeeit!

1 Like

What about Maschine+. I prefer it’s workflow to the MPC and it’s power can be extended to the PC where the NI library is insanely vast and high quality (personal opinion). I never used it though, but do own Maschine MK3 which beautifully complements my Digitakt and Digitone (I route channels through it via overbridge, so I can add effects to each and mix on the MK3 itself).

1 Like

I have no idea about Maschine. Before getting into music production through a hardware synth (Arturia MicroBrute) so long ago, I only played traditional instruments. I never got into digital production, huge sample libraries, Kontakt, VSTs, etc…

I could watch the Loopop video on it… lol. What I do know is this is their standalone product and it’s their new machine and like the Force, it had some issues but again I’m unfamiliar with it.

Too many choices! Right now I’ve settled on the MPC One. Force was a strong contender but the locked 4/4, just like the SP-16 is a no go for me, an even bigger disappointment due to that creamy filter.

That’s the thing, there is no perfect box for what you want… I have been struggling to imagine one for myself. Personally, I would like Elektron to make something with a non touchscreen linear tape workflow for production (think OP-1 on steroids), stereo sampling from multiple sources and performative mixer with Overbridge functionality (you know, as a host - standalone, but also full computer integration). One can dream right :))

1 Like

I agree that they should all have nuances but there should be a sort of standard laid out.

We need to start the “Groovebox Unification Association”. This fellowship will require all manufacturers of grooveboxes to include basic groovebox rights, such as stereo sampling, a screen larger then 3cm, and song mode.

4 Likes

I’ve not used the MPCs though they seem to be a computer in a box, albeit with a built in controller. Anyway, the best sample chopper I’ve used is the Polyend Tracker. I would definitely give some thought to it because it is loaded with features and an absolute steal price-wise.

2 Likes

My first experiences of making music were via Octamed on a Commodore Amiga in the mid/late 90s. I have a had a deep-seated loathing of trackers ever since (I used to smoke a lot whilst we were making tracks and could never stop myself from trying to keep track off the alphanumeric sequences flying on front of my eyes) BUT… even I have been very impressed with a friend’s Polyend Tracker.

2 Likes

I’m not understanding the lack of love for the Force, it can do everything that the MpC one/Live do and more, like arranger view and clip launch mode (which is quite brilliant).
Crossfader, pad scenes, envelope follower and some features I forget.
It had issues at launch but it’s getting better and better

try everything else, and then no matter what you get get an mpc one to go with it because it’s such a no brainer…

autosample
sample freeze per pad
auto sample
sample freeze per pad

best sample editing

try one… it does not feel like a daw to me in the least, but maybe there is some daw out there that is like it, I only have experience with logic, cakewalk, sonar, cubase, nuendo, protools, and ableton… whatever daw that the mpc feels like it ain’t one of those

1 Like

I just snatched up an MPC One Retro Edition from Musician’s Friend new for about $760 due to some rewards points and the Memorial Day coupon. As long as I take care of it, it won’t depreciate!

6 Likes

how much was the Memorial Day coupon worth?

15%

I decided to use only enough of my rewards points to cover tax. Without anything else besides the discount it was $813 shipped.

2 Likes