Recursion Studio -- Video Synthesizer from Entropy & Sons

They have been working on this for a while, and i’ve posted about it, but they are about to release ( June ), so time for a thread.

Sonic State Video from NAMM 2023 :

5 Likes

Looks like a lot of fun, great quality output. Pricy though.

Cutting straight to price => From the video there is a 10% off code NAMM2023, for like maybe a week, on the pre-order.

1 Like

Very interesting!
I’m definitely down for a good video synth over using a computer.

1 Like

Another video from NAMM :

1 Like

I’m not able to listen RN.
Can you put your own videos on it?
Trigger them via midi?

I think it’s more you put your videos through it.

1 Like

This looks really cool. I would’ve hoped though that you could store your own clips on it so you wouldn’t need two devices. Using a camera is a fun idea though. Entropy must be proud of his sons.

1 Like

I am not qualified to be commenting on this really, it was just what i think i picked up from watching the video.

2 Likes

those visuals look very very dated… basic shapes with colour cycling…
i think jeff minter was doing similar decades ago… dpaint on amiga could do similar enough things … and many winamp plugins were pretty good too.
or maybe i’m missing something…

3 Likes

I’d definitely like to see more of its capabilities.
Coming from VDMX, it would be tough to replace. However I would settle on a device that just let me trigger premade clips.

The size is nice

It wasn’t blowing me away like Whitecap did back in the day

Its great to see more products coming out with a VJ emphasis. It occured to me watching The Chemical Brothers and Underworld this past weekend how much visuals can add to a performance. The Chemical Brothers blew away a lot of other acts in part because of the visuals and lighting. Was great watching Underworld, but Im a fan. The lack of visuals was certainly noticed. Someone on line said that even though they were fans, the prospect of watching a 65 year old Karl Hyde prance around wasnt something they deemed entertaining. Cold blooded, but…yeah.

2 Likes

Don’t recall this specifically at NAMM, but maybe in the AI Innovation Lounge at NAMM that i posted about over in this thread .

There is realistic avatar animation software to follow a live performer. That is very possible now, and older performers can project images to better sync with a younger audience. ( Or vice versa ! ) These sorts of things are being developed right now.

Didn’t Jean-Michel Jarre do this with his Oxymore video – he did ! ( And it was kind of crappy, but proved the concept. )

1 Like