Recording your songs without a computer

So recently I’m really enjoying using the OT as my main hub. Everything runs to and from it.

What I want to know is what you guys record your output to? At the moment I’m recording my main out in to ableton, game over. But I think I’d like to completely remove my computer from the equation so I was thinking tape might be an option?

This isn’t a itb vs otb thread. I like both just wondering what you guys do?

I use a Zoomh H4n to record my A4 jams to, then transfer them to a computer via USB, so that I can post them on Soundcloud.

As we speak, I’m eyeing at this though. For sale over here, and I’m thinking about buying it.

You record into the OT :slight_smile:

If you have the FLEX memory empty, you can record up to around 6 minutes in 24 BIT. This is what I usually do when I want to record an instant jam.

3 Likes

Barfunkel - Buy it !

Get a Zoom R16 or R24. You can mixdown and master entire songs in 24 bit audio. If I didn’t decide buy a legit audio interface and start spending serious time with DAWs that I’ve been avoiding for 5 years, I’d be buying one too.

@Barfunkel

Go for it man. Re-recording your drums on tape and then playing them back into digital is a great effect. Don’t overpay for a 2-4 track cassette recorder, though. They can be had CHEAP. And honestly, the shittier the better because that’s what you’re going for.

Yeah, I think I will. It’s just too pretty to not to, even my girlfriend would approve of something that looks like that.

Make sure to buy vintage tape on eBay too!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=12+TDK+SA+100+60+90+Vintage+Tape+Cassette+deck+Sony+Maxell+Denon+Nakamichi+Akai

I also use a fieldrecorder (Sony pcm-m10) on the main-outs of the OT via line-in.
Then transfer via usb to my linux-mint pc and cut it with Audacity.

For experimentation purposes I also use a late 90s Technics double tape-recorder.

Straight to flex. Didn’t think about that. That’s a good idea. I guess my samples never take up that much space. Still would like one of those handheld zooms even if only for sample creation.

Very handy for recording all kinds of sounds with the internal mics. Perfect sample collector for the OT (don’t own one yet though)!

I picked up a good SONY dubbing deck for free during garbage day in the posh area of town that works fine… Don’t over pay or get one that was in a smoking environment…

How about recording straight to Static Machine? Or would that be too much for the compact flash card?

Get the Zoom H6

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h6/

I (and we “systems of memory”) record direct to an h4n. Import to ableton, tiny bit of compression and maybe small eq and done. Straight to soundcloud. For the last few months without my OT (getting a new one Saturday) I’ve been using a small mackie mixer for submix of all the gear. Tape out to h4n.

Can not recommend a small field recorder enough. I always have mine with me and record as much audio as possible from as many sources as possible.

using a computer to record/mix tracks it’s probably faster and gives you more options if you want/need to work on your recordings afterwards (effects, compression…). a tape recorder would be great for its analog feeling but sooner or later you’ll have to take all your stuff into the digital realm so i would probably avoid that. the recorders mentioned above would probably be a good solution otherwise, get yourself the biggest flash memory card you can find and stick everything on the OT :slight_smile:

…i don’t have an OT so, out of curiosity: is it possible to connect an external usb drive to it?

Would be so fucking amazing! But no. It is not possible.
With my h4n and a 64gig card, I get around 43hrs of audio space. I keep live sets in a folder, field recordings in a folder, and I even do a lot of my movie samples with it these days, recording the audio in its entirety as I watch movies, and taking notes or setting markers along the way.

Upload to ableton, edit and then bounce to OT.

I have a zoom h2n that I don’t use enough. The line in is in stereo mini jack. Would love to take the computer out, but do you reckon the quality of the inputs of these little devices is good enough?

H6 looks way too expensive, the H4n looks nice and cheap. BTW when I said tape I meant like this…

1 Like

Proper reel to reels are great, but they’re helluva expensive. For example, there’s a Studer A80 for sale in Finland which doesn’t even work properly, and the seller is asking 1500 euros for it.

A less expensive Revox would be nice as well, but they’re like 500-600€ too.

Out here in Japan you can get them cheap (sometimes) but as for tape I have no idea where I would get some.