Recording pattern into Syntakt using USB MIDI controller

Hi,

I’ve seen posts of a similar issue, but maybe note quite what I’m experiencing.

Using Syntakt into Ableton through Overbridge. I have an external USB MIDI keyboard that I want to use to record bass lines. It plays “through” the computer fine (as in, it triggers the bass channel from the Syntakt), but it won’t actually record the notes in the Syntakt box itself. I can obviously get Ableton to record the MIDI and manipulate there, but I’d rather the notes be in the Syntakt so that I can put some locks and other things in-box. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Maybe this isn’t possible using a USB MIDI controller?

Anyone…

Are you manually initiating the recording on syntakt? Like, are you entering live record on the syntakt itself?

2 Likes

Mutes ok ? (Global and Pattern mutes)
Are trigs recorded? (Check in Grid Recording mode)

A stuck note (note off not received) may block recording.
Try after power cycle.
Try with a new project.
If it works, go back to orginal project and try to find the culprit !

3 Likes

Yep! I’ll hit the live record button combo on the Syntakt and play the pattern. But it just won’t capture the notes even though I can hear them through the speakers.

I have had problems with Overbridge and controlling the Syntakt. I got it to work best with Ableton by disabling syncing in Overbridge, and doing all syncing and midi notes through Syntakt USB midi directly - all works as it should with Syntakt in Overbridge mode. I just use Overbridge for its multitrack recording output only. Everything seemed to work fine that way.

Try setting Ableton Live to send midi to the Syntakt Auto Channel. Then select the channel for the bass sound in Syntakt, then try recording through USB midi. If that works, then try setting the bass midi channel directly in Live.